Saturday 23 February 2013

The world according to Kimberley Walsh


'Prince Charles said he rooted for me on Strictly. I'd love to get him on the dancefloor': The world according to Kimberley Walsh



    The Girls Aloud singer and Strictly star on shunning the showbiz world, her bum's Twitter account, and her royal fan club
'I'm happier in front of the telly with a bag of chips than I am in a fancy restaurant full of rich and famous people,' said Kimberley Walsh
'I'm happier in front of the telly with a bag of chips than I am in a fancy restaurant full of rich and famous people,' said Kimberley Walsh
I was kicked out of Girls Aloud and went back to waitressing. 
Initially I was voted off Popstars, the reality show that gave birth to Girls Aloud. I went back to my job as a waitress. I wasn’t thinking, ‘That’s it – my chance has come and gone.’ By then I’d learned to take rejection on the chin. But I had a weird premonition that I’d be called back. And that’s exactly what happened when one of the other girls was disqualified on a technicality. So I ended up in the band after all. I guess some things are meant to happen.

My bum has its own Twitter account. 
It's called @Kimberley'sBum. I hasten to add it’s got nothing to do with me. Basically it consists of pictures of my backside from different angles. It might sound odd, but I take it as a compliment. At school I was nicknamed Duck Bum and I was teased about the shape of my backside. People would always tell me to stop sticking my bottom out. All these years later it’s nice that it’s getting some recognition.
Prince Charles is a big fan of mine. 
I met Charles and Camilla at Clarence House last year to discuss my involvement in one of Camilla’s charities. I was on Strictly Come Dancing at the time and they told me they were rooting for me and I could depend on their vote. Every time I meet Charles he’s keen to talk about dancing. I’d love to get the two of them on the dancefloor. 
'I met Charles and Camilla at Clarence House last year to discuss my involvement in one of Camilla's charities. I was on Strictly Come Dancing at the time and they told me they were rooting for me,' said Kimberley
'I met Charles and Camilla at Clarence House last year to discuss my involvement in one of Camilla's charities. I was on Strictly Come Dancing at the time and they told me they were rooting for me,' said Kimberley
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. 
I did it in 2009 for Comic Relief, along with Cheryl Cole, Chris Moyles and Gary Barlow. It took nine days in all. It was even tougher than competing in Strictly. I thought I’d prepared myself physically, but I wasn’t prepared for the shock of the cold and the altitude sickness. I was a mental and emotional wreck at the end of it. It was hell. 

I often get told that I’m a dead ringer for Kimberley Walsh. 
Even when Girls Aloud became very successful, I continued to travel on public transport. You’d be surprised how infrequently I get recognised. Commuters are too busy to care whether they’re sitting next to a pop star. I guess they don’t expect to see a member of Girls Aloud on the Tube. 
I’ve been pelted with stones by a ghost.
A few years ago we did a show called Ghosthunting With Girls Aloud, which involved us traipsing around this supposedly haunted old hospital. At one point we were in total darkness and it felt like someone or something was throwing stones at us. There were a lot of bats  flying around – but bats don’t throw stones. Let’s just say I’m a lot less cynical about the supernatural than when I went in.
I’m happier in front of the telly with a bag of chips than I am in a fancy restaurant full of rich and famous people. 
The showbiz world isn’t real life to me. I don’t mind dipping in and out of it, but I prefer to do normal things. You can take the girl out of Bradford…
'Girls Aloud will never break up. I just can't see it happening. Why would we stop doing tours or making records? It's a joy to do,' said Kimberley
'Girls Aloud will never break up. I just can't see it happening. Why would we stop doing tours or making records? It's a joy to do,' said Kimberley
Girls Aloud will never break up. 
I just can’t see it happening. Why would we stop doing tours or making records? It’s a joy to do. There’s no reason why we can’t keep going through our OAP years. 

The music industry toughens you up very quickly. 
When Girls Aloud became successful I realised I was too soft for the music business. I was the oldest in the band, so it fell to me to take charge. I looked after the finances and ran the company simply because one of us had to be organised. I got a reputation for being the bossyboots in the band. But we needed one and I was the only one ready to take on that role.

From the age of four I’d wake up early just so I could sing. 
Growing up there wasn’t a lot of money, but there was always music. There were no computer games and we couldn’t afford the latest toys, so we made our own entertainment. I used to put on shows with my brother and sisters, performing my own versions of Annie, Grease, Dirty Dancing and The Sound of Music to anyone who was prepared to listen.

I’ve always felt I was capable of doing anything. 
I didn’t plan beyond being a singer, but I’ve also become an actress, a TV presenter and so on. With Strictly, I’ve added ‘dancer’ to the list. 

Kimberley Walsh’s debut solo album, ‘Centre Stage’, is out now on Decca Records


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2279374/Kimberley-Walsh-Prince-Charles-said-rooted-Strictly-Id-love-dancefloor.html#ixzz2LjHj56o4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook