Thursday 26 January 2017

Thandie Newton reveals she's had candid discussions with her daughters about her assault and racism

'My first sexual encounter was abuse': Thandie Newton reveals she's had candid discussions with her daughters about her assault... as she hints at experiencing racism in her childhood 

Thandie Newton has revealed that she discussed her harrowing sexual assault with her children.
The actress, 44, announced she had been abused by an unnamed director in an interview last year, but speaking with The EDIT, she revealed she has also spoken to her kids about it.
The mother-of-three said: 'I told them that the first time I ever had any sexual encounter, it was abuse.'
Candid: After announcing that she had been sexually abused by an unnamed director in an interview last year, Thandie Newton revealed she has also spoken to her kids about it
Candid: After announcing that she had been sexually abused by an unnamed director in an interview last year, Thandie Newton revealed she has also spoken to her kids about it
She continued: 'Eventually, my 12-year-old stopped me and said, "Mum, don’t worry. I am way cooler than you were at my age."'
Thandie shares daughters Ripley, 16, Nico, 12 and son Booker, two, with Ol Parker - her husband of 18 years.
The BAFTA-nominated actress previously revealed that a director had instructed her to touch her breasts whilst a camera filmed up her skirt for a callback. 
She later discovered that he had been showing the audition tape to his friends at parties.
Speaking openly: Thandie told The EDIT she has since had frank discussions about sex with her children and explained exactly how she approached the talk
Speaking openly: Thandie told The EDIT she has since had frank discussions about sex with her children and explained exactly how she approached the talk
Thandie has since had frank discussions about sex with her children and explained exactly how she approached the talk. 
'I said, "Daddy has a beautiful penis, which enters Mama, and these two precious parts of us join together…"' she revealed.
She added that she was glad to have had the chat as her daughter received some misleading information just a few days later. 
Thandie explained: 'Ripley came home from school, saying, "Mummy, I had to tell Don he was wrong today. Don said sex is when a man makes his willy go really hard and then beats the woman with it"… Lucky I got to her first.'
Shocking: Thandie's own childhood was controversial, as she hinted at suffering racism whilst growing up in Penzance, Cornwall
Shocking: Thandie's own childhood was controversial, as she hinted at suffering racism whilst growing up in Penzance, Cornwall
Thandie's own childhood was controversial, as she hinted at suffering racism whilst growing up in Penzance, Cornwall. 
'I was the kid who was complicated to be friends with, because I was brown,' she explained.
'But I’m quite glad of that now. I realized how useful being alone is for figuring out your relationship to life. For me especially. 
Cute couple: Thandie shares daughters Ripley, 16, Nico, 12 and son Booker, two, with Ol Parker - her husband of 18 years
Cute couple: Thandie shares daughters Ripley, 16, Nico, 12 and son Booker, two, with Ol Parker - her husband of 18 years
She continued: 'I’m challenged all the time: being a woman who doesn’t want to communicate sexually as a way of making people comfortable; being a woman in a tough industry; being a spokesperson for voiceless women; being African, but also being English. 
'There are so many things I need to speak for.'
Yet whilst Thandie is happy to use her platform to speak out, she explained that she's lost friends for speaking her mind. 
Shocking: Whilst Thandie is happy to use her platform to speak out, she explained that she's lost friends in the past for speaking her mind
Shocking: Whilst Thandie is happy to use her platform to speak out, she explained that she's lost friends in the past for speaking her mind
Discussing human-rights atrocities she said: 'Sorry, I realize that I tend to be a bit of a bum out sometimes, because I bring stuff like this up all the time. But only because it really f***ing bothers me… 
'I’ve been cut out of people’s lives often because I’ve said things that are unpalatable… It hurts me like f***ing hell.'  
To read The EDIT on iPhone, iPad and Android, download the new free app, The EDIT by NET-A-PORTER, from the App Store and Google Play 
Passionate: Thandie has been vocal about discussing human rights atrocities 
Passionate: Thandie has been vocal about discussing human rights atrocities 


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4160680/Thandie-Newton-discussed-sexual-assault-kids.html#ixzz4WtiRXInB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook