Thursday 11 July 2013

'I was homeless at 18': Jennifer Lopez on her hard knock life before fame

'I was homeless at 18': Jennifer Lopez on her hard knock life before fame

She is reported to be worth around $250 million.
But Jennifer Lopez has revealed that she was once 'homeless' as a teen.
The former American Idol judge makes the revelation in a new interview with W magazine.
Cover girl: Jennifer Lopez graces the front cover of the August edition of W Magazine wearing a sheer black lace dress adorned with peacock-style feathers
Cover girl: Jennifer Lopez graces the front cover of the August edition of W Magazine wearing a sheer black lace dress adorned with peacock-style feathers 
The now 43-year-old says when she was 18 she was forced to sleep on a sofa in her dance studio after fighting with her mother Guadalupe Rodriguez over her career choices.
The Grammy Award-winning star says she wanted to pursue a career in show business but her parents did not approve, so she subsequently moved out of home. 
'My mom and I butted heads,' she tells the magazine. 'I didn’t want to go to college -- I wanted to try dance full-time. So she and I had a break.
Falling out: Jennifer, seen here with her mother Guadalupe Rodriguez in 2011, says the pair fell out when she was 18 over her career
Falling out: Jennifer, seen here with her mother Guadalupe Rodriguez in 2011, says the pair fell out when she was 18 over her career
'I started sleeping on the sofa in the dance studio. I was homeless, but I told her, "This is what I have to do."'
But it wasn't too long until Jennifer scored her first gig.
'A few months later, I landed a job dancing in Europe,' she says. 'When I got back, I booked 'In Living Color.' I became a Fly Girl and moved to L.A. It all happened in a year.'
But Jennifer says it took a long time for her to get used to the Hollywood lifestyle after living in the Bronx, New York. 
The whole clan: Jennifer posed with her mother, father David Lopez and her two twins, Max and Emme, when she got her star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame last month
The whole clan: Jennifer posed with her mother, father David Lopez and her two twins, Max and Emme, when she got her star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame last month 
'I hated L.A.,' she says. 'I was asking, "Where’s the store for milk? Don’t you guys walk on the street?"'
And while she later became fond of the City Of Angels, just like she sings in her famous song she says she will always be 'Jenny From The Block.'
'Now I love Los Angeles, but it doesn’t give me strength the way the Bronx did. All the strength that I needed for life, I got from that neighborhood,' she explains. 
Jenny's former block: This is the original home Jennifer lived in growing up in The Bronx, New York
Jenny's former block: This is the original home Jennifer lived in growing up in The Bronx, New York 
Jennifer of course is the mother of her own two children now, five-year-old twins, Max and Emme.
She says she hopes she can set a good example for her brood, teaching them good work ethic.
'I think a lot about teaching my kids to work hard. I’ve learned something about kids -- they don’t do what you say; they do what you do,' she says.  
'I watched my parents. My dad worked nights, and I was aware of how much he was doing for us.
'My mom was a Tupperware lady and also worked at the school. I always felt that I couldn’t let them down. And I had a natural discipline from early on. I was always training for something.'
These days Jennifer is one of the most famous entertainers in the world. 
Look at her now: Jennifer now has a massive property portfolio, including a $10million Hamptons mansion
Look at her now: Jennifer now has a massive property portfolio, including a $10million Hamptons mansion
As well as being a singer and an actress, she is also a fashion designer and television producer.
Jennifer has been in over 30 films, four TV series and recorded eight studio albums.
With records sales of 75 million and a cumulative film gross of over $2 billion, she is regarded as the most influential Hispanic performers in the United States.



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2359020/Jennifer-Lopez-reveals-homeless-age-18-falling-mother-career.html#ixzz2YdRp0gQI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook