Tuesday 21 August 2012

Olympic hero Victoria Pendleton reveals her battle to stay feminine :'Sexist Team GB athletes tried to make me cut off my hair'


'Sexist Team GB athletes tried to make me cut off my hair': Olympic hero Victoria Pendleton reveals her battle to stay feminine 


    They have helped earn her a reputation as one of the most glamorous girls on Team GB – as well as a lucrative advertising deal.
But gold medal-winning cyclist Victoria Pendleton has revealed her male team mates tried to get her to cut off her glossy chestnut locks – because they wouldn’t fit under her helmet.
The 31-year-old track cyclist, who won gold in the Keirin event and silver in the individual sprint, revealed how she had faced sexism throughout her career and felt she had been treated like a young girl right up to her recent retirement. 
She doesn't mind helmet hair: Victoria Pendleton stays feminine as an athlete
She doesn't mind helmet hair: Victoria Pendleton stays feminine as an athlete
She said: ‘As a woman I get treated differently. I came into the programme when I was 16 and a lot of people in that building still treat me like I am irresponsible and I need to be told what to do.
    ‘They don’t give me any credit for what I’ve achieved and I don’t want to be treated like that anymore.’
    In January, the sportswoman secured a role as a brand ambassador for Pantene hair care products in a deal thought to be worth £1million. Victoria Pendleton Pantene advert
    Luscious locks: Victoria Pendleton in an advert for haircare brand Pantene
    Victoria Pendleton
    Glossy: Victoria Pendleton was pressured to cut her hair by Olympic team mates
    Victoria Pendleton
    Tears: After winning gold at London 2012, Victoria Pendleton retired from the national team  
    But the cycling star revealed: ‘There was so much pressure from the male members of staff to crop my hair; “cut it off it doesn’t fit under the helmet”. And I was like, “No way”. It’s the one part of me left that makes me feel feminine.’
    Speaking to Hello! Magazine, Miss Pendleton, who also won a gold medal for sprint cycling in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, said the Team GB kit was more suited to men.
    She said: ‘I’ve missed dressing like a girl. We basically dressed in boys’ clothes every day because the team kit is an extra-small man’s tracksuit – they don’t have a women’s version. And when I’d get home I’d put on another tracksuit.
    ‘It’s not like I had anywhere to go: I wasn’t allowed. So I’m looking forward to spending time by myself, buying make-up.’
    Though she has now retired from the national team, the Bedfordshire-born star has plenty to keep her busy as she prepares for her wedding to her former coach, Australian Scott Gardner, which will take place next year.
    She said: ‘I am just going to take some time out and start on my wedding plans. It’s probably going to be August next year.
    ‘I can’t wait to try on lots of dresses- no meringues, just something quite plain and simple.’


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2191335/Olympic-gold-medallist-Victoria-Pendleton-reveals-sexist-team-mates-tried-make-cut-long-hair.html#ixzz24E7AFyyG