Saturday 7 September 2013

Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model 2013 exclusive winner interview:Lauren Lambert: It's like my own Cinderella story!

BINTM winner Lauren Lambert: It's like my own Cinderella story!

Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model 2013 exclusive winner interview: The 23-year-old barmaid went from sleeping in a car to being crowned champ

It’s been a long hard road but after 13 weeks of shoots, catwalks and challenges, but 23-year-old Lauren Lambert has won Britain and Ireland’s Next Top Model 2013.

Despite knocking it out of the park every week with shot after shot of stunning photos, part-time barmaid Lauren had no idea she would come out on top.

Lauren Lambert, 23, has won Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model 2013

“I never thought I had it in the bag,” claims Lauren, who still hasn’t told all her family about her incredible win.

“I always tried my best and fed off the good feedback from the judges. But I never felt like I was better than anyone else.”

From snake charming to underwater posing, this year’s models were put through their paces by head judge Elle Macpherson accompanied by Tyson Beckford and rookie Dannii Minogue.

But before Lauren could even get to the model house she had her own obstacles to overcome to chase her modeling dream.

Born on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, Lauren is a triplet with two brothers meaning she wasn’t exactly a girly girl growing up.

“I was constantly with my brothers so I was very much a tomboy,” laughs the 23-year-old.

When she was 10, her mum moved Lauren, her brothers and younger sister over to the UK – a tough move for any young family.

“It was difficult,” admits Lauren. “Me and my siblings stuck together – we couldn’t go anywhere without each other.”

Lauren overcame a life of adversity to chase her modelling dream

“We felt like outsiders, very isolated. When we first came over we had to go to school but we felt very uncomfortable.”

Things only got tougher for Lauren, as she claims she was kicked out of her family home by her mum aged just 15.

“We didn’t see eye to eye for a little while but I was still very respectful. It was the constant arguing with my siblings that did it.”

“It broke my heart – I felt lost and alone.”

Hanging out on park benches, sleeping in her dad’s car and staying in hotels made for a tough teenage life.

But family has always been important to Lauren, who took in her younger sister and nephew to her one bedroom flat before the show.

Working in retail, admin and as a carer kept food on the table but Lauren knew her heart wasn’t in it and never gave up on modeling.

“My sister didn’t know but I used to sit and cry over this longing to follow my dream,” claims Lauren.

“It was so hard, I was trying my best but I was being held back from achieving it because of my duties and responsibility towards my family.”

The passing of her grandmother gave Lauren the courage to apply for the show and the rest is history.

“Everything happens for a reason and this year was definitely my time to shine,” smiles Lauren.

“It all feels like a Cinderella story!”

Lauren has nothing but glowing praise for her fellow finalists, Emma Ward and Sarah Kennedy, who were stiff competition in a tense finale.

From the very beginning, Lauren wowed the judges with incredible photos

“Both Emma and Sarah would have been worthy winners – I wouldn’t have minded losing to either of them,” she admits.

“They deserved it just as much as I did.”

“Emma has such a strong editorial look and Sarah’s learning curve was incredible – she learned and changed so much during the competition.”

Friendships were put to the test this week, as the competition reached a boiling point with three girls competing for a life-changing opportunity.

“It did get very competitive, on a massive scale. But I was hungry for it.”

At 6ft 2in, Lauren is on the tall side for a model and she reckons that her success might inspire other tall girls out there to go for it.

“I’m hoping that this can open doors for other tall girls out there, to encourage them to pursue modelling.”

“I got knocked back so many times, so I’d say to all would-be BINTM contestants: no matter how many times you get knocked down, just keep fighting for what you want.”

“Stay positive and go for it – we’re all entitled to our dreams so why not chase them?”