Wednesday 25 March 2015

Tennis champ Serena Williams plays up the glamour with figure-hugging fashions as she reveals 'it's lonely at the top' in Vogue

Tennis champ Serena Williams plays up the glamour with figure-hugging fashions as she reveals 'it's lonely at the top' in Vogue

Serena Williams plays a mean game of tennis, which is why she's ranked No. 1 in women's singles.
The 33-year-old champion wasn't afraid to show her softer side or that fabulously fit figure in the April issue of US Vogue.
For her eye-catching cover, Serena donned a teal Rag & Bone sleeveless frock that revealed her toned arms and trim waistline.
Scroll down for video 
Great shape: Tennis champion Serena Williams showed off her fabulously fit physique in a teal Rag & Bone frock on the April cover of US Vogue 
Great shape: Tennis champion Serena Williams showed off her fabulously fit physique in a teal Rag & Bone frock on the April cover of US Vogue 
Her long hair was a luxurious mass of curls while her face shone in all its natural beauty with minimal make-up.
Another glam shot had Serena clad in a vibrantly red, off-the-shoulder gown which fit her snugly from the waist down and featured a low-cut back and rear split.
Serena was barefoot in this shot that showed her in profile with her raven-dark locks blowing back.
Lady in red: The 33-year-old athlete was all aces as she posed in a figure-hugging red gown
Lady in red: The 33-year-old athlete was all aces as she posed in a figure-hugging red gown
In the spotlight: Serena shared a bikini-clad Instagram touting her Vogue issue in which she admitted she leans on BFF Caroline Wozniacki and sister Venus off the court because 'It’s hard and lonely at the top'
In the spotlight: Serena shared a bikini-clad Instagram touting her Vogue issue in which she admitted she leans on BFF Caroline Wozniacki and sister Venus off the court because 'It’s hard and lonely at the top'
While Serena's Vogue issue is being lauded for its realistic appeal - little or no digital magic used, in other words - her accompanying interview also comes as a surprise.
Serena spoke about her close friendship with Caroline Wozniacki, 24, a rival on the tennis court but one of her closest BFFs anywhere else.
When Serena needs a shoulder to lean on, she trusts Caroline or her tennis pro sister Venus. 
Serena admitted that times can get tough when you're a No. 1 tennis champion.
'It’s hard and lonely at the top,' Serena confessed to Vogue. 'That’s why it’s so fun to have Caroline and my sister, too. You’re a target when you’re number one. Everyone wants to beat you. Everyone talks behind your back, and you get a lot more criticism. God forbid I lose.' 
BFFs: Serena's friend - and tennis rival - Caroline Wozniacki appreciated her support during a trying time after her engagement to golfer Rory McIlroy ended last May
BFFs: Serena's friend - and tennis rival - Caroline Wozniacki appreciated her support during a trying time after her engagement to golfer Rory McIlroy ended last May
Last May, it was Caroline who needed Serena's support.
When Serena got word that Caroline had been dumped over the phone by her fiancé, Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy, she immediately picked up the phone.
'I was devastated. I had planned the bachelorette party,' Serena told Vogue.
Serena and Caroline both sat down to chat about the event six months after the fact. 
'My phone was going crazy, but I didn’t want to talk to anyone,' said Caroline, who was playing on the professional women's tour at the time.
'I kept calling,' Serena described.
Shoulder to cry on: Wozniachki - pictured with Serena last November - gushed that her pal 'was really there for me when I needed her the most' while Williams said, 'I was impressed with how strong she was'
Shoulder to cry on: Wozniachki - pictured with Serena last November - gushed that her pal 'was really there for me when I needed her the most' while Williams said, 'I was impressed with how strong she was'
'First she texted, "If you don’t pick up, I am going to fly to Monaco." And then, "If you don’t answer the door, I am going to knock it down."
'So I thought, OK, I better answer the phone. And I am so glad I did. She wasn’t pitying me, like a lot of people were. I mean, it’s not like anyone died.'
Wozniacki added: 'I was in shock, but she was really helpful because she had been through it before. She didn’t sugarcoat it, and she didn’t look down on me.
'She was really there for me when I needed her the most, and that’s why I think our friendship is so strong now.' 
Can't be beat: Serena, who is currently ranked No. 1 in women's singles tennis, told Vogue; 'On the court, I am fierce! I am mean and I am tough. I am completely opposite off the court'; she was pictured on March 18 
Can't be beat: Serena, who is currently ranked No. 1 in women's singles tennis, told Vogue; 'On the court, I am fierce! I am mean and I am tough. I am completely opposite off the court'; she was pictured on March 18 
'I was impressed with how strong she was,' Serena said, before continuing: 'And you know, there will be other engagement parties... many.'
Serena indicated that Caroline won't have problems finding another guy, as they literally swarm her when the girls go out at night.
'I am really shy. I don’t talk to guys,' Serena conceded. And although she had once wished for a family and children of her own some day, she's not in any particular hurry.
'I guess,' she said. 'I’m not even looking for it.'
On the court, it's a different story.
Serena went on to say: 'On the court, I am fierce! I am mean and I am tough. I am completely opposite off the court. My confidence just isn’t the same. I wish I was more like I am on the court. Nobody would know that I am constantly crying or complaining.'





Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3007965/Serena-Williams-plays-glamour-figure-hugging-fashions-recalls-coming-rival-Caroline-Wozniacki-s-emotional-rescue-Vogue.html#ixzz3VLlYL3iV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook