Monday 23 March 2015

Quickfire with winner of The Voice Jermain Jackman

Quickfire with winner of The Voice Jermain Jackman

The Voice winner Jermain Jackman on tripping up on stage and the star who left him speechless
Where would you time travel to? The 1960s. My voice is from that era. People call me Grandad because I listen to Motown and 60s music, but I think people wrote from the soul back then. Now it’s all just booty shaking. Alternatively, it would be quite nice to revisit December when I went to Barbados, and feel the sun on my face again!

What would be your secret superpower? To be able to read minds like Professor Xavier from X-Men. I met Sir Patrick Stewart, who plays him, at a dinner recently. Ed Miliband and Stephen Fry were there, but I was more excited to meet Sir Patrick!

Your first record? R Kelly’s Chocolate Factory, when I was about eight. I remember singing along with the words printed in the CD booklet.

Big break? I guess it was winning The Voice and getting a contract with London Records. I’m so excited to bring out my own material.

Your worst job? Catering. I worked all over the place – I even did a job at Buckingham Palace last year. I met so many great people but my supervisor was rude.

Favourite villain? The Joker from Batman.
As a child you wanted to be…an international lawyer, travelling the world doing celebrity court cases. Or working for MI5. I watched too many spy films as a kid. I was a snitch, too, so the idea of spying appealed to me!

Who would play you in the movie of your life? I would like to say Idris Elba, but he’s a bit older than me. Jaden Smith?

Your style icon? Tinie Tempah.

Alternative career? Politics – I’d like to be the Mayor of London!

Last meal on earth? Roti curry chicken with coleslaw.

On a night off, we’d find you…at home on my PlayStation, or out with my friends in Shoreditch, East London.

Who is your best friend? My family. I’ve got a twin sister and my brothers are twins, too.

Most embarrassing moment? So many! Everything from tripping up on stage to starting a song in the wrong key.

Where is home? Hackney, London. But also Guyana. I go back as often as I can.

Your Starbucks order? I’m more of a Costa guy. The hot chocolate’s better there. It kind of scares me how many Starbucks there are on every street, especially in New York.

Love is…for me, it’s music. It’s our international language and it transcends everything.

Most starstruck moment? I met Jennifer Hudson and was speechless for the first time in my life. I was in a studio and her voice was piercing through the walls. I’d know that voice anywhere.

Your karaoke song? ‘One Moment in Time’ by Whitney Houston. My dad bought me a karaoke machine when I was little. That’s how it all started.

Which Mr Man are you? I guess I’d have to say Mr Greedy. I love to eat.
Jermain’s debut album will be released on London Records tomorrow




Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2999206/Quickfire-winner-Voice-Jermain-Jackman.html#ixzz3VFLsRbof
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook