Tuesday 2 August 2016

Serena Williams proudly shows off her athletic physique on cover of Self as she aims for another Olympic gold

'I love my body and I wouldn't change it': Serena Williams proudly shows off her athletic physique on cover of Self as she aims for another Olympic gold

  • The 34-year-old will be looking to win her second individual Olympic gold at the Games this year
  • Serena will also pair up with her sister Venus for the doubles competition
  • Despite her sporting success, Serena has admitted in the past that she faces tough criticism from body shamers, particularly online 
Serena Williams has never been one to shy away from showing off her athletic form.
And now the 34-year-old number one-ranked tennis player is looking better than ever in a sexy sportswear shoot for Self magazine, put out just in time for the start of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The sports star is hoping to return from this summer's Games with a fifth gold medal, defending her top-of-the-podium finish at London 2012 in the singles event.
Champion looks: Serena Williams looks gorgeous on the latest cover of Self magazine 
Champion looks: Serena Williams looks gorgeous on the latest cover of Self magazine 
Out for a stroll: The shoot sees the tennis champion posing by a beach in different sportswear
Out for a stroll: The shoot sees the tennis champion posing by a beach in different sportswear
She will also be teaming up once again with her sister Venus Williams as an unstoppable doubles duo that has gold medals from the 2000, 2008 and 2012 Games under their belts.
As a preview before what is expected to be a triumphant trip to Rio, Serena is displaying her famous form in a photo shoot for Self, posing on a beach in a variety of fetching outfits.
On the cover, she shows off her washboard abs in a blue and white sports bra and black bottoms, while in other photos in the shoot she wades into the water.
In an interview with the magazine, Serena declared: 'I love my body, and I would never change anything about it.' 
She added: 'I'm not asking you to like my body. I'm just asking you to let me be me. Because I'm going to influence a girl who does look like me, and I want her to feel good about herself.'

Making her point: In an interview with the magazine, Serena addressed the frequent comments made about her body, saying 'I would never change anything about it'
Making her point: In an interview with the magazine, Serena addressed the frequent comments made about her body, saying 'I would never change anything about it'
A real fighter: In Rio this year, Serena will be looking to defend her London 2012 gold in the singles event as well as her gold with sister Venus in the doubles
A real fighter: In Rio this year, Serena will be looking to defend her London 2012 gold in the singles event as well as her gold with sister Venus in the doubles
Serena has previously expressed her love for her own body because it is able to achieve incredible feats of athleticism that have given her a peerless career in her sport.
During Wimbledon last month, users on social media claimed they were too 'distracted' by the player's nipples showing through her tennis whites to focus on the world number one's astonishing form on the court.
Her outraged soon leapt to the champion's defence calling for the body-shamers to 'grow up' and accusing them of treating her like a piece of meat. Serena herself was totally unfazed. 
Her strength in the face of body shamers has made her a role model for young women the world over, but she is also a vocal advocate for keeping the women's tennis competition considered on the same level as the men's. 
She is the champion: Serena is pictured lifting the Venus Rosewater Dish after triumphing at Wimbledon in July
She is the champion: Serena is pictured lifting the Venus Rosewater Dish after triumphing at Wimbledon in July
No apologies: Serena hopes that her body positivity is 'going to influence a girl who does look like me, and I want her to feel good about herself'
No apologies: Serena hopes that her body positivity is 'going to influence a girl who does look like me, and I want her to feel good about herself'
She told the magazine: 'I have this platform that other people don’t have. I think it’s important, especially as a woman, to stand up for who you are and what you believe in - and not back down.'
However, although she is fully expected to go home with yet another accolade at this year's events, the American stunner is also excited for some downtime - including settling down for good.
'In five years, I'm on a boat or an island, sketching the latest collection. Maybe there's a baby, maybe a couple, we'll see,' she said. 
'I'm done traveling - I'm throwing away my passport. Yeah, I'm done with it.' 


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3720286/I-love-body-wouldn-t-change-Serena-Williams-proudly-shows-athletic-physique-cover-Self-aims-Olympic-gold.html#ixzz4GCnDGjXH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook