Tuesday 18 October 2016

2013 How To Impress Me: Meghan Markle - Esquire Magazine


How To Impress Me: Meghan Markle

Dating advice from the stunning American 'Suits' star


markle-43


Meghan Markle is dressed for a night on the town.
Lithe and golden with tumbling dark hair and boundless positivity, she’s a glimmer of LA sunshine on a cold November evening in London.
“I love how much men call you ‘darling’ here,” the star of Suits star giggles. “I’m a sucker for a compliment.”We can’t imagine she struggles for them.
As well as managing to be stop-you-in-your-tracks gorgeous and warm at the same time, Markle is impressively multi-skilled: she’s worked for the US embassy in Buenos Aires, is shortly taking a turn on Gordon Ramsey’s Hell's Kitchen to improve her (already impressive) cooking skills and on a recent trip to Dublin she 'learned how to pull the perfect pint'.
Women like this are a rarity. But on the off chance you ever encounter one, we asked Meghan the best way to go about impressing her.
***

Kindness is the number one quality I look for in a man. You can see in how he treats anyone – from a CEO to a housekeeper –  and it’s a reflection of how nice a guy is. Funniness and confidence come after that.

I can’t stand it when men are snarky. Catty is not cool. I can’t think of anything less becoming than a man who talks about people behind their backs.

When a guy approaches me, it’s fantastic if he can make me laugh. But there’s a fine line between being funny and being obnoxious. Some of the lines I’ve heard I could never repeat, because they’re too vulgar. That’s definitely not what you want to open with.

I was in Dublin a few days ago picking up an award at Trinity College, and one of the students there stood up in a room of 400 people and said: "Will you go for a drink with me tonight?" His confidence was so incredibly attractive. It would have been inappropriate to go, but I love that he asked.

I like it when a man puts thought into the kind of restaurant we’re going to. That doesn’t mean it needs to be fancy –  some of the best meals of my life have been having a taco on a street corner.

It's nice to be relaxed on a date.  For work I get so dolled up that it's nice to wear boyfriend jeans and a sweater.

At work [shooting Suits] I’m surrounded by men wearing beautiful bespoke suits. There is something that is so attractive about seeing a man who has put that much effort into his look. But for me, guys wearing converse and jeans is best. 

The best job a man could have would be a chef. They’d understand the long hours I work and the drive and ambition it takes to succeed.

A man has no business taking two hours in the bathroom. When I get ready to go out, it's half hour and we’re out of the door. I don’t want to waste time getting ready: I want to go and have fun.

I’m really big on day dates. If you go for a stroll, have a picnic or lunch with a glass of wine – it doesn't get better than that. 

I love how British guys dress for the cold. I’m from LA so I'm used to seeing people in sunglasses and flip-flops. There’s something so romantic about a man in a scarf and a knitted hat.

It's really attractive if a man has a skill that you want to improve in yourself. If you can learn from someone, then that’s sexy.

Meghan hosted the  fourth annual London Global Gift Gala, the funds from which  helps to provide shelter, food, clothing, education, medical attention and other life-changing necessities to vulnerable groups, in particular children and women in need, on November 19th at ME Hotel, London. For more details globalgiftfoundation.org