Monday 16 July 2012

Coronation Street's Samia Ghadie - Maria should be in mental home by now


SoapsEDITED BY COLIN ROBERTSON

Maria should be in
mental home by now

- Says Samia Ghadie

Samia Ghadie
Clean cut ... Corrie actress Samia Ghadie
ScopeFeatures
Published: Today at 00:25

KEEP Corrie crimper Maria away from those hairdressing scissors — telly babe Samia Ghadie reckons her character is in serious danger of losing the plot.


The stunning soap star who plays her thinks Maria Connor should be in a MENTAL HOSPITAL. And she does have a point.
In 12 eventful years on the ITV1 soap she has cried rape, had a stillborn baby, buried a murdered husband, given birth on a beach and been sexually assaulted.
Samia told TV Biz: “You could write a book about what’s happened to Maria. If that happened in real life, she’d have ended up in a mental home by now.”
Fortunately, the dark stuff is behind her for now. Instead, Maria is being catapulted into a will-they-won’t-they romance with buff builder Jason Grimshaw (played by Ryan Thomas).
And as our picture reveals, it’s not long before the pair get passionate.
Most female Corrie fans would love to kiss the Weatherfield hunk, but Samia just found it all rather embarrassing.
She said: “I’ve been on Corrie for 12 years now and Ryan and I are such good mates. We get on so well. So when Maria starts getting very friendly with Jason it feels weird kissing Ryan.
“It’s like kissing my brother. And, oh my goodness me, we just have to giggle about it. We have to make a joke.
“You don’t get nervous, you just laugh a lot as it does feel so strange.”

Maria Connor & Tony Gordon
Off-the-cuff ... Corrie Maria's row with Tony Gordon
Street bosses are keeping tight-lipped about whether the fling will develop into a long-lasting soap romance, but Samia reckons they are a perfect match.
She said: “Maria deserves someone who won’t hurt her as she has had her fair share of bad boyfriends.
“In the nicest possible way, being with Jason is an uncomplicated relationship for her. They first dated ten years ago and so it makes sense for Maria.”
Maria has certainly notched up a few men over the last decade.
As well as a broken engagement with mechanic Tyrone Dobbs, she has romanced Nick Tilsey, builder Charlie Stubbs and bookie Peter Barlow, among others, before tying the knot with Liam Connor then unwittingly falling for Tony Gordon, who murdered him.
Samia chuckled: “She has worked her way around the Street.
“She has had a lot of boyfriends. She falls in love easily with people.
“It’s nice for Maria that Jason is so lovely, but from a selfish point of view I’d rather she didn’t end up marrying and staying with him forever.

Maria Connor & Jason Grimshaw
Kiss chase ... Corrie's Maria Connor & Jason Grimshaw
“As an actress, if things go wrong that is more challenging and interesting. I would probably be quite disappointed if she was in a relationship for ever... I do still love playing Maria and I’ve enjoyed seeing her change as a person.
“I feel so honoured to be part of such a brilliant show.”
Samia has also faced up to a lot of changes in her personal life.
Her six-year marriage to property developer Matthew Smith, with whom she has a two-year-old daughter, Freya, broke down at the start of last year. They are now divorced and she has reverted to her maiden name, Ghadie.
She is now dating ex-Corrie co-star Will Thorp, who split with his wife just before taking up with Samia. The pair have insisted they didn’t get together until AFTER they were both single.
For Samia, one of the most fulfilling things in her life is being a mother.

Maria Connor
Sad scenes ... Corrie's Maria Connor at husband Liam's funeral
She said: “I love being a mum so much. It’s brilliant. Freya is my best, little pal. Being a mum has given me a different perspective on life. I don’t worry about the little things any more, you have got bigger fish to fry.
“When I first returned to Corrie after my maternity leave, it was quite quiet for my character. I am busier now but I always rush home after filming to spend time with Freya and I do like the nice balance of work and motherhood.
“She goes to nursery two days a week and everyone is convinced she will be a pop star.”
Earlier this month, Samia, who first joined the hit ITV1 soap when she was 18, turned 30. She celebrated by throwing a party in Manchester for co-stars including Brooke Vincent and Jane Danson.
“There were a lot of sore heads the next day,” said Samia, smiling.
“I was all right as I tried to pace myself. I can’t believe I am 30 now. Life has gone by really quickly. My 20s have been a roller-coaster, but I have enjoyed them.”
Don’t expect Samia to follow other soap stars on to reality TV shows Dancing On Ice or I’m A Celebrity. At least not just yet.
“Never say never, but I certainly won’t be eating bugs any time soon,” she said. “I have got so much on my plate, I am as happy as I am.
“I know Corrie fans really care about what happens to Maria, which is lovely.
“I am sure there will be plenty more surprises to come along the way.”