Tuesday 24 July 2012

Gorgeous Alesha Dixon reveals she gave up sport for singing


'I could have been an Olympian': Alesha Dixon reveals she gave up sport for singing


She might have a successful music career and a stint on two of the UK's biggest talent shows under her belt. 
But Alesha Dixon once had dreams of becoming a professional athlete. 
The 33-year-old star used to run for her county and had hopes of eventually flying the flag for her country. 
Flying the flag: Alesha Dixon once dreamed of becoming a professional athlete
Flying the flag: Alesha Dixon once dreamed of becoming a professional athlete
'Before I got into music, I studied sport and used to run for my county,' Alesha said in an interview with LOOK magazine.
'I idolised former sprint and hurdling champion Colin Jackson when he was at the peak of his athletics career, and at the age of 15 I was training at the Gosling Stadium in Welwyn Garden City when he came to visit.
 
'Colin was lovely. He spoke to us for ages and I got to watch him on the field. I dreamed of becoming a professional athlete.'
Although her sporting career didn't amount to the Olympic dream she had hoped of as she decided to focus on music, the Britain's Got Talent judge gas always refused to 'play the victim' in life.
Never a victim: Alesha says she always tries to remain positive during difficult times in life
Never a victim: Alesha says she always tries to remain positive during difficult times in life
Patriotic: Alesha posed for an Olympic-themed shoot for LOOK magazine
Patriotic: Alesha posed for an Olympic-themed shoot for LOOK magazine
Perhaps alluding to the period when she divorced her ex-husband, So Solid Crew's MC Harvey, following his affair with singer Javine Hylton, Alesha admitted life can be 'difficult'.
She said: 'Life isn’t all clouds and candyfloss, real life is difficult for a lot of people. I chose how I applied myself through certain times. Do I choose to be positive and move forwards, or do I sit here and play the victim? 
'With anything that’s happened in my life, I never sit there and feel sorry for myself. It’s life, it happens - learn from it and move on.'
In the Olympic-themed photoshoot with LOOK, which saw Alesha pose while wrapped in a Union Jack, the star also opened up about her first date at the age of 18. 
'I never had boyfriends at school, so I was 18 when I went on my first date. I was really nervous. We ate out in Victoria in London and then went to the theatre to see Starlight Express. 
'I knew it was a proper date, because in the restaurant I didn’t eat how I normally would. I’m someone who wolfs down food and I was eating very ladylike! I learned from that date to just be myself.' 
To read the feature in full, see the latest issue of LOOK magazine’s Brit Style issue out now. Or log on to www.look.co.uk/alesha.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2177835/Alesha-Dixon-gave-sport-singing.html#ixzz21WwbTIJ6