Monday 9 March 2015

Emma Watson reveals she was left 'raging' after being hit with nude photo threat

Emma Watson reveals she was left 'raging' after being hit with nude photo threat 

Emma Watson has said she was 'raging' after a hoax website threatened to release nude photographs of her online.
On Sunday, the 24-year-old actress and UN Ambassador for Women said the website targeted her after she spoke up for women's rights.
'After I gave my speech [at the UN] there was a website threatening to release naked pictures of me,' she said while speaking to Radio 1 DJ Greg James at Facebook's London offices to mark International Women's Day.
Scroll down for video 
Furious: During a chat at Facebook's London headquarters on Sunday, Emma Watson revealed she was 'raging' after a hoax website threatened to release nude pictures of her recently
Furious: During a chat at Facebook's London headquarters on Sunday, Emma Watson revealed she was 'raging' after a hoax website threatened to release nude pictures of her recently
'I knew it was a hoax, I knew the pictures didn't exist, but I think a lot of people that were close to me knew gender equality was an issue but didn't think it was that urgent, that it was a thing of the past.
'And then when they saw that the minute I stood up talking about women's rights I was immediately threatened, I think they were really shocked, my brother was particularly upset.
'This is a real thing that's happening now, women are receiving threats. I was raging, it made me so angry, I was like, this is why I have to be doing this. If anything, if they were trying to put me off it, it did the opposite.'
Vicious attack: The actress and UN Ambassador for Women said the website targeted her after she spoke up for women's rights
Vicious attack: The actress and UN Ambassador for Women said the website targeted her after she spoke up for women's rights
In September, a web page entitled Emma You Are Next, featuring an image of the star next to a countdown clock, appeared to have been created by a user of image-sharing website 4chan, on which lewd photos of celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton were recently posted. 
Speaking in support of the He For She campaign, during the chat, she added: 'Our society in general devalues the she, I mean the qualities that are associated with the feminine that are found in all of us.
'There's this imbalance, this distortion that is just hindering our progress, it's causing discord, violence and fear the world over."
She will not be moved: Emma said that the attack only proved to make her more defiant
She will not be moved: Emma said that the attack only proved to make her more defiant
'It's uncomfortable, it's awkward to acknowledge there is a problem, but we need to understand we are complicit.
'Another anecdote is that a lot of the criticism I have had in my life, some of the harshest moments have been comments from other women. It's not enough to ask men to come and support us.
'We really need to support each other, we really do. So, I guess I would say be brave enough to acknowledge that things are not there yet and support each other.'
One audience member asked Watson if she was paid less than her male counterparts in the Harry Potter films.
She replied: 'I wouldn't dream of complaining about my financial circumstances, but yes, it is a big problem in my industry, it is a huge problem that needs to be addressed.' 
Fight for equality: Among the other subjects covered during the chat were equal pay and the demeaning ways in which women are often viewed
Fight for equality: Among the other subjects covered during the chat were equal pay and the demeaning ways in which women are often viewed


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2985562/Emma-Watson-reveals-left-raging-hit-nude-photo-threat.html#ixzz3Tv6U1DX5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook