Strictly Come Dancing's first 2015 celebrity is confirmed as Jeremy Vine announces he'll be hitting the floor
The first celebrity to slip into some sequins and show off their moves on the 2015 series of Strictly Come Dancing has been confirmed.
Journalist, author and presenter Jeremy Vine has announced he'll be taking part in the brand new series of BBC One's hit show when it returns this autumn.
With training due to begin in the coming days, the 50-year-old broadcaster made the announcement on The Chris Evans Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 2 on Monday morning.
Scroll down for video
Hitting the floor: Jeremy Vine has confirmed he will be competing in the 2015 series of Strictly Come Dancing
Talking to Chris live in the studio, Jeremy admitted he signed up as his two daughters, aged eleven and eight, are huge fans of the series.
'How could I say no to the biggest show in TV? Yes, yes, yes and yes again to the sequins and the Samba! Now I just need to find some dancing shoes and identify my left foot,' he joked.
'I am doing it for my two young daughters who jumped behind the sofa when I told them! It seems Dad on Strictly is more scary than Doctor Who!' added Jeremy.
He's got moves: The journalist added photos on his Twitter account after announcing the news, joking: 'I was looking forward to hearing @achrisevans announce the first person on #Strictly - and it's me'
Jeremy told Chris he'd signed up for the show three weeks ago and had been required to undergo a medical examination using the codename 'Nemo'.
He revealed that all of the 2015 celebs have been issued with Disney names to maintain the huge level of secrecy surrounding the show.
The journalist also added two photos on his Twitter account after announcing the news, as he joked: 'I was looking forward to hearing @achrisevans announce the first person on #Strictly - and it's me.'
He also insisted he can't reveal the identity of his rival competitors, writing: 'All I can tell you is that I have been limbering up - and I DON'T know who any of the others are #strictly.'
Limbering up: Jeremy also insisted that he can't reveal the identity of his rival celeb competitors
Jeremy is the host of his self-titled BBC Radio 2 programme every weekday, while he also hosts BBC One's Points of View on Sundays, as well as Eggheads on BBC Two, which is now one of the longest-running quiz shows in British TV history.
A seasoned broadcaster, Jeremy has also been one of the presenters for the BBC's election coverage since 2006, including overseeing the famous Swingometer.
Other celebrities taking part in this year's Strictly are expected to be announced soon, with the likes of Adrian Chiles, Dermot O'Leary and Coronation Street star Georgia May Foote all rumoured to be taking part.
Strictly Come Dancing returns to BBC One for its 13th series in September.
Reigning champ: TV star Caroline Flack won the 2014 series of Strictly with her pro partner Pasha Kovalev
Back for more: Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly will be hosting the new series when it hits screens in September
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3192043/Strictly-Come-Dancing-s-2015-celebrity-confirmed-Jeremy-Vine-announces-ll-hitting-floor.html#ixzz3iOpmwMWG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook