Friday 18 May 2012

The Vicar of Dibley to find Jesus as Dawn French signs up as judge on Andrew Lloyd Webber's search for a Superstar


The Vicar of Dibley to find Jesus as Dawn French signs up as judge on Andrew Lloyd Webber's search for a Superstar


She might have already found God but it looks like the Vicar of Dibley has yet to find Jesus - until now.
Because Dawn French, who plays the pioneering lady vicar, has been signed up by Andrew Lloyd Webber as one of the celebrity judges on his new talent show Superstar.
The comedienne will join pop star Jason Donovan as they search for a lead in the theatre impresario's Jesus Christ Superstar.
Finding Jesus: Dawn French has been signed up by Andrew Lloyd Webber as a panellist to find the lead role in Jesus Christ Superstar
Finding Jesus: Dawn French has been signed up by Andrew Lloyd Webber as a panellist to find the lead role in Jesus Christ Superstar
The show is due to air in the summer and the finalists from the nationwide audition tour will now battle it out during the live shows to take the lead role.
Dearly beloved: Dawn in her role as Geraldine, the pioneering Vicar of Dibley
Dearly beloved: Dawn in her role as Geraldine, the pioneering Vicar of Dibley
Dawn said: 'I’m gagging to find Jesus with the help of the Good Lord.  I have actually been searching for him my whole life, and I can’t believe that inside a few weeks we are going to find him. 
'The fact that he is going to be a Rock God is a massive bonus.'
The rock opera will kick off at London’s O2 arena on 21st September and will star Australian comedian Tim Minchin as Judas, former Spice Girl Mel C as Mary Magdalene and Radio 1’s Chris Moyles as King Herod.
Amanda Holden will present the live shows and joining Dawn on the panel will be Jason Donovan, who played the lead in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat in the West End from 1991 to 1993.
He said: 'We have unearthed some cracking talent so far and I’m really pleased I’ve had time to get to know the finalists as we’ve moved through the competition stages.  
'It’s an honour to sit by Andrew on the judging panel and I can’t wait for the live shows to start.'
And Amanda added: 'It’s an absolute honour to be working with Andrew on Superstar.  We’ve discovered some wonderful talent for the viewers, I already feel very protective of them, I’m like Mother Hen with all my boys!'
West End experience: Jason Donovan, who played the lead in Lloyd Webber's Joseph in the early Nineties, is also on the panel
West End experience: Jason Donovan, who played the lead in Lloyd Webber's Joseph in the early Nineties, is also on the panel
Lloyd Webber said: 'The prize of this talent search has to be the biggest of any reality show ever. The winner will be part of a star cast including Tim Minchin, Mel C and Chris Moyles playing in arenas up and down the country.  
'I am thrilled with the finalists I have chosen to put through to the live shows, they could not be a more varied bunch. Viewers will have some really exciting performances to look forward to.'
Speaking about his cast, he said: 'I remembered seeing Chris Moyles on Celebrity X Factor and thinking he was rather good. I also remember singing a song with him round a piano one night, which he probably doesn’t. I do, vaguely.
Rock opera stars: Lloyd Webber and his famous cast of (L-R) Tim Minchin who will play Judas, former Spice Girl Mel C who will be be Mary Magdalene and Radio 1¿s Chris Moyles will portray King Herod
Rock opera stars: Lloyd Webber and his famous cast of (L-R) Tim Minchin who will play Judas, former Spice Girl Mel C who will be be Mary Magdalene and Radio 1¿s Chris Moyles will portray King Herod
'Chris is a great friend of Nigel Wright, who’s produced a lot of my music in the past. I just thought, “Why not, interesting person.” 
Mel C was under my nose. She’s a judge for the preliminary stages of Superstar. I said, “Mel, I remember seeing you in Blood Brothers. Let’s get round the piano.” End of story.
‘Tim Minchin has always wanted to play the role of Judas. I met him before Matilda opened and we got on very well. I said, “Are you serious about this.” He said, “Dead right.” He came round and sang for me. I thought he was sensational.’
From BGT to the big stage: Amanda Holden will present the live shows as they search for the next Jesus
From BGT to the big stage: Amanda Holden will present the live shows as they search for the next Jesus
VIDEO: Lloyd Webber won a coveted BASCA statuette at yesterday's Ivor Novello Awards



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2146201/The-Vicar-Dibley-Jesus-Dawn-French-signs-judge-Andrew-Lloyd-Webbers-search-Superstar.html#ixzz1vDUrp9m8