Thursday 16 May 2013

England star David Beckham brings to an end his glittering football career as he retires at 38


'All my boyhood dreams came true': England star David Beckham brings to an end his glittering football career as he retires at 38 

  • Beckham was capped 115 times by England during an amazing career
  • 'I love the game so much - I just feel it's the right time' says emotional star
  • The sportsman, worth £165million, will now work as an ambassador
  • He played for Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy, AC Milan and Paris Saint Germain in a career spanning 21 years
  • He is the only English player to win a league title in four different countries
  • Wife Victoria describes husband as 'an inspiration to millions'
  • Prime Minister David Cameron says 'congratulations on a fantastic career'

David Beckham has retired from football at the age of 38, bringing the curtain down on a glittering career, Sportsmail exclusively revealed today.
The former England captain, nicknamed Goldenballs, will hang up his boots after another trophy-laden season, this time winning the French league title with Paris St Germain.
Beckham, who has been commuting from London, has decided to bow out at the top of his game and will now be able to devote more time to wife Victoria and their four children, the youngest of whom is Harper, aged just 21 months.
Following the Mail's revelation, Beckham said in a statement: 'I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level.'
This evening in an emotional interview with Sky after a training session with Paris St Germain, Beckham said 'I believe it's the right time but I'll always believe I could do more.'
Scroll down for video
Emotional: David Beckham says in an interview that he thinks the time is right to retire from football after 21 years
Emotional: David Beckham says in an interview that he thinks the time is right to retire from football after 21 years
End of an era: His voice cracking, Beckham said 'I just feel it is the right time to go'
End of an era: His voice cracking, Beckham said 'I love the game so much - I just feel it is the right time to go'
Curtain call: David Beckham, pictured at the Paris Saint Germain training ground today, announced he is retiring from football after a 21-year career
Curtain call: David Beckham, pictured at the Paris Saint Germain training ground today, announced he is retiring from football after a 21-year career
Curtain call: David Beckham, pictured at the Paris Saint Germain training ground today, announced he is retiring from football after a 21-year career
His voice breaking, he added: 'I was given the opportunity to play at PSG for another year but I feel now is the right time to call it a day.
    'I love the game so much, I just feel that it is the right time to go. I always feel I can do more, that is the problem.
    'I have been so lucky throughout my career playing for the clubs I have played for and winning the trophies I have won.'
    Beckham's wife, Victoria, said the couple were 'excited about the next chapter in our lives'.
    Beckham admitted that it had been a difficult decision to retire but said that, having won the French league title with PSG, now is the right time to end his playing career.
    Farewell: Sportsmail exclusively revealed that David Beckham is bringing the curtain down on a glittering career that has spanned two decades
    Farewell: David Beckham waves to a crowd in China during an appearance as an ambassador last month. He is likely to perform similar roles in the future
    Happy family: Beckham and his wife Victoria, pictured with their four children Romeo, Cruz, Harper and Brooklyn at Los Angles airport last July
    Happy family: Beckham and his wife Victoria, pictured with their four children Romeo, Cruz, Harper and Brooklyn at Los Angles airport last July
    Famous moment: Beckham celebrates scoring a last minute equaliser against Greece at Old Trafford in October 2001 as England qualified for the World Cup in dramatic circumstances
    Famous moment: Beckham celebrates scoring a last minute equaliser against Greece at Old Trafford in October 2001 as England qualified for the World Cup in dramatic circumstances
    He said: 'I think over the years when I have talked to players who have retired they always say 'You'll know when you are ready', and I think I'm ready.
    'Obviously it's a difficult decision because I still feel I can play at the top level and still have over the last six months.
    'I always secretly said to myself I want to go out at the top and if you'd said to me eight months ago you'll be playing in the French league, winning the league, and finishing like this I would have said probably 'Absolutely no chance'.
    'I was given the opportunity and I just feel now is the time.'
    Pressed by Neville as to how certain he was in his conviction that retirement was the right thing,
    Beckham said: 'I think. I love the game so much.
    'I just feel...it's the right time - I believe it's the right time but I'll always believe I could do more.'
    Family man: Beckham will now have more time to spend with his wife Victoria and his four children
    Family man: Beckham will now have more time to spend with his wife Victoria and his four children
    Family man: Beckham at the airport with his four children Romeo, Cruz, Harper and Brooklyn and wife Victoria
    Family man: Beckham at the airport earlier this year with his four children Romeo, Cruz, Harper and Brooklyn and wife Victoria Retired: Beckham, pictured with his sons Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz at a recent Paris Saint Germain home game will retire at the end of the season
    Retired: Beckham, pictured with his sons Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz at a recent Paris Saint Germain home game will retire at the end of the season
    Retirement: David Beckham, pictured shopping with his wife Victoria recently in Paris, is today retiring from football
    Retirement: David Beckham, pictured shopping with his wife Victoria earlier this month in Paris, is retiring from football
    The footballer has played for Manchester United, Preston North End, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy, AC Milan and PSG during a career that has spanned more than two decades.
    He added in a statement: 'If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realised those dreams.'
    Beckham, who has an estimated £165million fortune, made his debut for Manchester United in 1992, winning six league titles and the Champions League before he moved to Madrid.
    He made his England debut in 1996 and would go on to be the Three Lions' most capped outfield player with 115 appearances.
    He was the first English player to score in three consecutive World Cup finals tournaments.
    Beckham said: 'To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country.
    'I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country. I'm honoured to represent England both on and off the pitch.'

    TRIBUTES:TEAMMATES AND FOOTBALL FIGURES SALUTE BECKHAM

    FIFA President Sepp Blatter
    Sepp Blatter
    Former England international Gary Lineker
    Gary Lineker
    Former teammate Phil Neville
    Phil Neville on Beckham retiring
    Friend, former teammate and Sky pundit Gary Neville
    Gary Neville tweet about Beckham
    Despite the offer of an extended one-year deal at Paris Saint-German, the 38-year-old has played his last game, bowing out on a high after helping Carlo Ancelotti's side win the French title for the first time in 19 years.
    The trailblazing midfielder is now set to continue his ambassadorial duties with a variety of

    BECKHAM'S 19 TROPHIES

    Man Utd
    • 6 Premier League Medals 
    • 2 FA Cups 
    • 4 FA Community Shields 
    • 1 Champions League
    • 1 Intercontinental Cup
    Real Madrid
    • 1 La Liga
    • 1 Supercopa
    LA Galaxy
    • 2 MLS Cups 
    Paris ST Germain
    • 1 Ligue 1
    organisations, which include Sky Sports, adidas, Unicef and promoting football in China.
    But PR guru Max Clifford said Beckham will struggle to generate the income he has as a professional footballer in these kinds of roles.
    Clifford said: 'I think the next five years are critical for him. In the last few years he has been earning £20-25 million a year- to match that he would have to make a £100m in the next five years.
    'I can’t see how he would do that unless he links up with a major company like an oil company or a bank to become some kind of sporting ambassador for them.'
    He said Beckham’s star is likely to fade in the next few years, but ruled out an appearance on a celebrity reality show.
    He added: 'He will always be well known. He will never struggle for money. He and Victoria have built that brand up over the last 10 years, it will always be strong.
    'I can’t see him turning up on I am a Celebrity or Big Brother or something. He is a million miles from that and always will be.
    'But he is just a retired footballer now. The brand, the Beckham name had a focus while he stayed in the game, now where is it? He is bound to see his fame decrease, even if he does find a way of reinventing himself.'
    Retirement: Beckham played for Paris Saint Germain this season and ended the season with another trophy as the French side won their league championship
    Retirement: Beckham played for Paris Saint Germain this season and ended the season with another trophy as the French side won their league championship
    Out on a high: Beckham is retiring after helping Carlo Ancelotti's PSG win the French title for the first time in 19 years
    Pure delight: Beckham and Zlatan Ibrahimovic celebrate the title
    Out on a high: Beckham is retiring after helping Carlo Ancelotti's PSG win the title for the first time in 19 years, which celebrated emphatically with team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Clash: David Beckham goers toe to toe with Cesc Fabregas of Barcelona during a Champions League clash last month
    Clash: David Beckham goers toe to toe with Cesc Fabregas of Barcelona during a Champions League clash last month
    Fond farewell: Beckham soaked up the applause in Paris earlier this week during PSG's open-top bus title parade
    Fond farewell: Beckham soaked up the applause in Paris this week during PSG's open-top bus title parade
    Having relocated from LA in January, Beckham is expected to set up a permanent base in London with his wife Victoria and children, Brooklyn, Romeo, Cruz and Harper.
    Victoria spoke of her pride in her husband and described him as an 'inspiration to millions'.
    She said in a statement: 'The children and I are so proud of David, it's been an incredible journey for us all as we have watched him play at clubs all over the world throughout the last 15 years. 
    'Myself and the children have cheered him from the stands, as he has held high trophies with his teams at Manchester United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, LA Galaxy and Paris St Germain. 
    'This was not an easy decision to make, and to me and the children he will always be an amazing sportsman and a devoted husband and father. 
    'He is, and will always remain, a true ambassador for sport and is not just an inspiration to myself and our children but for millions of people worldwide. 
    'We are all excited about the next chapter in our lives and the adventures we will explore as a family.'
    His vast fortune comfortably makes Beckham the richest athlete ever in British sport, with a host of lucrative sponsorship deals and salary payments over the last decade amassing his wealth.
    Star: David Beckham in a speedboat passing under Tower Bridge which carries the Olympic Torch during the opening ceremony for last summer's games
    Star: David Beckham in a speedboat passing under Tower Bridge which carries the Olympic Torch during the opening ceremony for last summer's games
    Ambassador: David Beckham played a key role in winning the Olympics for Britain and worked as an ambassador for Team GB
    Ambassador: David Beckham played a key role in winning the Olympics for Britain and worked as an ambassador for Team GB
    Decorated: David Beckham with his wife Victoria at Buckingham Palace as he is awarded an OBE
    Decorated: David Beckham with his wife Victoria at Buckingham Palace as he is awarded an OBE
    He said he wanted to be remembered as a great footballer - rather than for anything off the field.
    As he announced his retirement this afternoon, tributes flowed in from the world of football.
    Former England manager Steve McClaren described Beckham as 'an inspiring personality' while the player's former Manchester United teammate Gary Neville hailed him as the most influential player in England in the last two decades.
    Prime Minister David Cameron praised 'all the work he did on helping us win London 2012'.
    A Downing Street spokesman said: 'The Prime Minister's view is that David Beckham has been an outstanding footballer throughout his career but not only that he has been a brilliant ambassador for this country, not least if we remember all the work he did on helping us win London 2012.
    'The Prime Minister's message would simply be to say: "congratulations on a fantastic career".'
    Delight: Beckham celebrates winning the MLS Cup with LA Galaxy in December 2012 after his side beat Houston Dynamo
    Delight: Beckham celebrates winning the MLS Cup with LA Galaxy in December 2012 after his side beat Houston Dynamo
    Title joy: David Beckham holds the Spanish SuperCup aloft in the Berabeu in August 2003 shortly after he signed for Real Madrid
    Title joy: David Beckham holds the Spanish SuperCup aloft in the Bernabeu in August 2003 shortly after he signed for Real Madrid
    Finest hour: Beckham lifts the Champions League in May 1999 as Manchester United completed an historic treble
    Beckham: Outstanding achievements in football award
    Finest hour: Beckham lifts the Champions League in May 1999 as Manchester United completed an historic treble (left) and he receives an award (right) for his achievements in football in 2008
    First club: David Beckham celebrates scoring for Manchester United in a Champions League qualifying match in 2002
    First club: David Beckham celebrates scoring for Manchester United in a Champions League qualifying match in 2002

    'IF YOU TOLD ME AS A BOY I WOULD HAVE ACHIEVED ALL THIS, I WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU IT WAS A FANTASY': BECKHAM RETIRES FROM FOOTBALL

    David Beckham said today he was honoured to have played more than 100 times for his country as he announced his retirement after a glittering 21-year career.
    Writing on his Facebook page, which is liked by almost 27million people, he said he was 'thankful' for the opportunities he has had as a footballer.
    The statement, which was shared 25,000 times in just two hours, read: 'I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level.
    'If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realised those dreams.
    'To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country. I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country. I'm honoured to represent England both on and off the pitch.
    'I wouldn't have achieved what I have done today without my family. I'm grateful for my parents' sacrifice, which made me realise my dreams. I owe everything to Victoria and the kids, who have given me the inspiration and support to play at the highest level for such a long period. I also want to thank Simon Fuller and his team for their continued support.
    'I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.
    'Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.'
    England legend: Beckham, 38, played for his country 115 times and also captained his country
    England legend: Beckham, 38, played for his country 115 times and also captained his country
    England legend: Beckham, 38, played for his country 115 times and also captained his country
     
    Beckham won the Primera Division title in his final season in Spain and the US Major League Soccer championship twice.
    He added: 'I wouldn't have achieved what I have done today without my family. I'm grateful for my parents' sacrifice, which made me realise my dreams.
    'I owe everything to Victoria and the kids, who have given me the inspiration and support to play at the highest level for such a long period. I also want to thank Simon Fuller and his team for their continued support.
    'I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.'
    Beckham was sold to Real Madrid by Manchester United in 2003 for £25million and he went on to win the league title there as well
    Beckham was sold to Real Madrid by Manchester United in 2003 for £25million and he went on to win the league title there as well
    Father: The footballer, now a dad with sons Brooklyn, Cruz and Romeo, left Real Madrid on a free transfer for LA Galaxy in 2007. He stayed there for five years
    Father: The footballer, now a dad with sons Brooklyn, Cruz and Romeo, left Real Madrid on a free transfer for LA Galaxy in 2007. He stayed there for five years
    While at LA Galaxy he played on loan at AC Milan during the close season in the US
    While at LA Galaxy he played on loan at AC Milan during the close season in the US. He later signed for Paris Saint Germain early this year
    Beckham has this year become an ambassador for the sport in China.
    'Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead,' said Beckham.
    'I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.'
    Sven-Goran Eriksson, whose tenure as England manager between 2001 and 2006 coincided with some of Beckham's best years, not to mention his captaincy, told BBC Radio Five Live: 'He is a fantastic footballer and a fantastic person. All over the world you say "David Beckham" and people know who that is.
    'I don't think any other football player is more popular than he.'
    AC Milan, who signed Beckham twice on loan during the Major League Soccer off-season, posted a statement of thanks to the player on their official website.
    The club acknowledged that his initial arrival was not universally deemed to be good business, but praised his contribution at the San Siro.
    'His arrival at the club may have been greeted with some skepticism but his performances as a player quickly won over the non-believers,' it read.
    'Two goals against Genoa and Bologna as well as 29 appearances with AC Milan helped the team towards two Champions League qualifications.
    'Thank you and good luck from all the fans and everyone at the club to David Beckham.'
    Beckham has two final games before the end of the season, the last home match of his career being this Saturday against Brest at Parc des Princes.
    Born in Leytonstone, Beckham started out with Ridgeway Rovers before being singled out by Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton at a Soccer School in Barcelona.
    At 14, he signed schoolboy terms at Old Trafford and joined the likes of Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt in United's famous youth class of 1992, going on to make his first-team debut against Brighton in the League Cup that same year.

    'He has been the most influential player in England': Stars from the world of football play tribute to Beckham

    Leading figures from the world of football today paid tribute to David Beckham as he announced his retirement from football after a glittering 21-year career.
    His former Manchester United teammate Gary Neville described Beckham as the most influential player in England over the last two decades.
    Gary Lineker wrote on Twitter that the 38-year-old was: 'A wonderful player, global superstar and a magnificent ambassador for England and football.
    Youth star: David Beckham in action for the Manchester United youth team in 1993 before he made his professional debut
    Youth star: David Beckham in action for the Manchester United youth team in 1993 before he made his professional debut
    Youth star: David Beckham in action for the Manchester United youth team in 1993 before he made his professional debut
    Neville, who is a close friend of Beckham, told Sky Sports News today: 'You look at it and think "wow", he's got an incredible array of caps and medals, an incredible longevity.
    'He played in the greatest midfield I've ever played with: David, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes. David was a crosser of the ball, a passer of the ball. He had incredible stamina and energy. He was a joy to play with
    'And when you think back on the way football has changed over the last 22 years, he has probably been the most influential player in that time out of England in terms of transforming football.
    'In leaving the country, to Milan, LA, Paris, he has transported England around the world and that's something he was aware of and wanted to do. England debut: Beckham plays his first game for his country against Moldova in a World Cup qualifier in September 1996
    England debut: Beckham plays his first game for his country against Moldova in a World Cup qualifier in September 1996
    'Every clothing garment he wore, every hairstyle was followed - not just in football but out of football.
    'That's why you see him working as an ambassador for the Olympics.'
    FA chairman David Bernstein described Beckham as an iconic figure in the game.
    He said: 'In the week following Sir Alex Ferguson retiring, which came as a bit of a shock, now we have the iconic David Beckham coming out of the game.
    'It's unexpected even though he is getting to mature years for a footballer. Delight: David Beckham, centre, celebrates with Gary Neville (left) and Roy Keane after Manchester United scored against West Ham in a Premier League match
    Delight: David Beckham, centre, celebrates with Gary Neville (left) and Roy Keane after Manchester United scored against West Ham in a Premier League match in 1997
    'He is an iconic figure in the game and produced wonderful performances for his clubs, particularly Manchester United.
    'When you look at his playing and work for England, no one would ever accuse him of being unpatriotic and not giving everything for his country.
    England manager Roy Hodgson said that he hopes Beckham will continue to be involved in football after his retirement.
    'David is a man of many talents and a lot of people now will be wanting him for different jobs and roles, some of which could take him away from us in football,' he said.
    Infamous: Beckham is sent off against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup as England crashed out of the tournament on penalties
    Infamous: Beckham is sent off against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup as England crashed out of the tournament on penalties
    Sealed with a kiss: Beckham toasts Manchester United's Premier league triumph in 1999
    Make mine a treble: Beckham memorably won the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League with Manchester United in 1999
    'But I'm rather hoping we'll be able to keep him in football because we can really benefit from his experience, we can really benefit from his charisma and we certainly benefit from the magnificent past he has had as a football player.'
    Former England manager Steve McClaren hailed the midfielder as a great of the modern game after the former national team captain announced his retirement.
    Beckham, who was instantly dropped when McClaren inherited the England job from Sven-Goran Eriksson in 2006, is to quit the game at the end of the season.
    His mentor: David Beckham with Sir Alex Ferguson, his Manchester United manager, who also retired from the world of football last week
    His mentor: David Beckham with Sir Alex Ferguson, his Manchester United manager, who also retired from the world of football last week. Here Beckham shakes his manager's hand in 2002 after signing a new contract
    He eventually won over McClaren in their England days, earning a recall.
    And McClaren said today: 'He was a great player. He made the very most of his talents through sheer hard work and professionalism and always doing extra work on the training field.
    'He inspired his team-mates through his performances.
    'He was a winner, he's won so many things in his career, and that was infectious on his team-mates.
    'And he was an inspiring personality to young players with his behaviour and professionalism on and off the field. But ultimately he was a leader and people followed him.
    'The young players followed him in how he played and in his personality, and even off the field the young players of today are following him through his fashion.'
    The President of FIFA Sepp Blatter tweeted: 'David Beckham, one of the most iconic figures in global football is retiring from playing. It’s the end of a chapter of an amazing story.
    'David grew up as a football loving child & achieved his dreams, and unquestionably inspired millions of boys & girls to try & do the same.
    'Whatever he chooses to do next I’m sure he’ll approach with the same dedication & good grace he displayed the last 21 years. Good Luck!'
    British Olympic Association chair Lord Seb Coe congratulated David Beckham on his career: 'It is impossible to think about the success of the London 2012 Games and not reflect upon the extraordinary commitment made by David Beckham.
    'At every stage of the London 2012 journey - from the bid phase, to planning for the Games, to the torch relay and the unforgettable summer of sport in 2012, David was a constant source of support and inspiration.
    'His impact across football - and all of sport - will be felt for generations to come.'
    Joy: David Beckham (centre) celebrates scoring his final goal for Manchester United against Everton in May 2003. Weeks later he was sold to Real Madrid
    Joy: David Beckham (centre) celebrates scoring his final goal for Manchester United against Everton in May 2003. Weeks later he was sold to Real Madrid
    Megastar: David Beckham is greeted by fans of Real Madrid as he is unveiled as the Spanish side's new signing
    Megastar: David Beckham is greeted by fans of Real Madrid as he is unveiled as the Spanish side's new signing

    21 YEARS, SIX CLUBS, 19 TROPHYS, 115 ENGLAND CAPS: DAVID BECKHAM BRINGS THE CURTAIN DOWN ON HIS GLITTERING CAREER

    1975: Born Leytonstone, May 2.
    1991: Joins Manchester United as trainee.
    1992: Makes debut against Brighton in the League Cup on September 23. Wins FA Youth Cup.
    1993: Signs professional contract at Old Trafford.
    1995: Joins Preston on loan in February and scores two goals in five games.
    1996: Helps United to Premier League and FA Cup double.
    Scores goal of the season on opening day at Wimbledon, lobbing Neil Sullivan from the halfway line. Makes his England debut in the 3-0 win in Moldova.
    1997: Collects another championship winners' medal, voted PFA Young Player of the Year.
    1998: Scores first England goal, a free-kick against Colombia in Lens on June 26. Sent off in second-round penalty shoot-out defeat against Argentina.
    1999: Helps United win the Premier League, FA Cup and European Cup after coming from behind to beat Bayern Munich with two late goals.
    Runner-up in World Player of the Year awards, behind Rivaldo.
    2000: May - Collects fourth championship winner's medal as United win title by a record 18 points.
    November - Named England captain for the November friendly with Italy in Turin by stand-in boss Peter Taylor.
    2001: May - Collects another Premier League title with United.
    October - Curls in a 25-yard last-minute free-kick against Greece at Old Trafford to earn England a 2-2 draw and send them into World Cup finals.
    2002: June 7 - Scores from the penalty spot in the World Cup group stage match against Argentina to seal a 1-0 win. England bow out in the quarter-finals at the hands of eventual winners Brazil.
    2003: February - Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson accidentally kicks a boot into Beckham's face in frustration at United's FA Cup defeat to Arsenal.
    June 14 - Awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for services to football.
    June 17 - United announce they have accepted a £25million bid from Real Madrid for Beckham, who agrees personal terms.
    2004: June 24 - Misses a penalty as England lose to Portugal in a shoot-out in the Euro 2004 quarter-finals in Lisbon.
    2005 - November: Captains England for 50th time in friendly against Argentina in Geneva.
    2006: July 2 - Stands down as England captain after World Cup quarter-final exit to Portugal.
    August 11 - Dropped from squad for friendly against Greece, Steve McClaren's first match as manager.
    2007: January 11 - Beckham announces he will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer club Los Angeles Galaxy on a five-year contract in August.
    January 13 - Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello says Beckham will never play for the club again.
    May 26 - McClaren hands Beckham a shock England recall for matches against Brazil and Estonia.
    June - Wins the La Liga title with Madrid, having won back his place in the team.
    August 16 - Beckham scores his first goal for Galaxy on his full debut in the SuperLiga semi-final meeting with DC United with a trademark free-kick.
    2008: March 26 - Wins 100th England cap in the friendly against France.
    October 30 - AC Milan announce Beckham will join them on loan on January 7, 2009.
    2009: March 9 - AC Milan announce that under a unique "timeshare" agreement Beckham will stay with them in Italy until the end of the season, return to the Galaxy from July to October and then rejoin the Serie A club for the rest of the 2009-10 campaign.
    March 28 - Comes on as a half-time substitute against Slovakia at Wembley to win his 109th cap and break Bobby Moore's record for an outfield player.
    2010: March 14 - Tears his Achilles tendon in Milan's 1-0 win over Chievo - an injury that rules him out of the World Cup.
    June - Part of England's backroom staff for World Cup campaign in South Africa which ends in second-round defeat to Germany.
    August 11 - England career appears to be at an end when Capello tells ITV: "Probably he is a little bit old."
    2011: November 20 - Wins the MLS Cup as the Galaxy beat Houston Dynamo 1-0 in the final.
    December 31 - Five-year deal at the Galaxy expires.
    2012: January 19 - Re-signs with the Galaxy.
    November 20 - Confirms he is to leave the Galaxy after MLS Cup on December 1.
    December 1 - Ends his time in MLS in style by winning a second MLS Cup with a 3-1 win over Houston Dynamo.
    2013: January 31 - Signs a five-month contract with Paris St Germain, revealing at a press conference he will play without a salary, donating what he would have earned to a children's charity in the French capital.
    February 24 - Makes his PSG debut as a substitute against rivals Marseille.
    April 2 - Starts Champions League quarter-final first leg against Barcelona. A brief substitute appearance in the following week's second leg was his final European game.
    May 12 - PSG clinch the Ligue 1 title with a 1-0 win over Lyon. Beckham becomes the first Englishman to win league titles in four different countries.
    May 16 - Announces his retirement from football.



    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325563/David-Beckham-retires-Glittering-football-career-comes-end-age-38.html#ixzz2TU6NqC7e
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook