Friday 13 June 2014

Birthday Honours 2014: Ten famous faces


Birthday Honours 2014: Ten famous faces

More than 1,000 people have been recognised in the Birthday Honours list.
Here are 10 of the more famous faces.
line break
1. Daniel Day-Lewis
Daniel Day-Lewis
Occupation: Actor
Honour: Knighthood for services to drama
Quote: "I'm entirely amazed and utterly delighted in equal measure."
line break
2. Angelina Jolie
Angelina Jolie
Occupation: Actress and campaigner
Honour: Honorary damehood for services to UK foreign policy and her work to fight sexual violence
Quote: "To receive an honour related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to.... I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime and I am dedicated to it for all of mine."
line break
3. Stephen Sutton
Stephen Sutton
Occupation: Campaigner
Honour: MBE for services to Teenage Cancer Trust charity
Quote: "Shortly before Stephen passed away on May 14 he received a letter from the Cabinet Office asking if he was agreeable to accepting an MBE in recognition of his fundraising and services.... He thought it was an incredible honour to have been nominated and it definitely got the 'thumbs up'," said his mother, Jane Sutton.
line break
4. Lizzy Yarnold
Lizzy Yarnold
Occupation: Skeleton racer
Honour: MBE for services to skeleton racing
Quote: "My hands started shaking as soon as I saw the envelope was from the Palace.... My gold medal has helped give winter sports in Britain more exposure and hopefully this will continue with this latest honour."
line break
5. Damian Lewis
Damian Lewis
Occupation: Actor
Honour: OBE for services to drama
Quote: "I was very surprised but very happy to accept. I decided to do the very un-British thing of accepting the compliment.... I don't think you ever stop trying to impress your parents and I hope they will be proud."
line break
6. Dame Maggie Smith
Dame Maggie Smith
Occupation: Actor
Honour: Becomes Companion of Honour for services to drama
line break
7. Kevin Sinfield
Kevin Sinfield
Occupation: Captain Leeds Rhinos Rugby League Football Club and England
Honour: MBE for services to Rugby League
Quote: "I'm obviously delighted and very proud.... I'd like to dedicate it to all those players I've played alongside over many years and coaches I've played under and all the people at Leeds really who have played such a huge part in my career."
line break
8. Zandra Rhodes
Zandra Rhodes
Occupation: Fashion designer
Honour: Damehood for services to British fashion and textiles
line break
9. Hilary Mantel
Hilary Mantel
Occupation: Author
Honour: Damehood for services to literature
Quote: "I'm delighted to receive this honour.... I see it not so much as a reward for the past, more as encouragement for the future.... I hope it will please the many people who have helped, guided and encouraged me over a writing career of some 30 years."
line break
10. Nicholas Soames
Nicholas Soames
Occupation: MP
Honour: Knighthood for political service
Quote: "I have been an MP for over 30 years.... I love Parliament and I hope I have made a small contribution, alongside many others, to the public and political life of this country."