Tuesday 16 April 2013

Lisa Snowdon slams the size zero trend as she opens up about her own body and health regime


'It's unrealistic and unhealthy': Lisa Snowdon slams the size zero trend as she opens up about her own body and health regime


She's known for championing her curves despite being in the modelling industry for over two decades.
And now Lisa Snowdon has gone one step further by slamming the size zero trend with in her industry.
The 41-year-old Capital FM radio presenter has insisted that it's 'unrealistic and unhealthy' for models to be expected to fall to such low weights.
Weight talk: Lisa Snowdon has opened up about her own body and fitness regime, as well as slamming the size zero trend to this week's Star magazine
Weight talk: Lisa Snowdon has opened up about her own body and fitness regime, as well as slamming the size zero trend to this week's Star magazine
She told this week's Star magazine: 'I think it’s unrealistic and unhealthy. But it’s great that some designers have championed how we should be focusing on health and not skin and bones.'
The brunette beauty also revealed to the weekly magazine that she was also pressurised to lose weight at the height of her modelling career, but she was wise enough to ignore them.
Lisa added: 'Well, I was never part of the skinny look, I had boobs for a start! I was told to lose weight, yes, but I didn’t want to. 
Body confident: As a young model Lisa refused to lose weight at the request of designers but admits she now has to go to the gym regularly to maintain her figure
Body confident: As a young model Lisa refused to lose weight at the request of designers but admits she now has to go to the gym regularly to maintain her figure
'I had a head on my shoulders and I got out. Then I came home and ended up getting the Special K advert which was brilliant.'
Although Snowdon, who counts George Clooney among her exes, felt too thin after competing on BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing over four years ago.
'The only time I felt too slim was when I did Strictly Come Dancing in 2008. It was doing so many hours of training with Brendan Cole, there wasn’t an ounce of fat on me. But that was exercise,' she mused.
But while she's slammed the size zero look Lisa was also quick to defend her super slim friend Abbey Crouch, who has come under fire recently for being under weight.
Fluctuating: Snowdon is currently between a size 8 and 10 but sometimes goes up to a 12
Fluctuating: Snowdon is currently between a size 8 and 10 but sometimes goes up to a 12
Model looks: Lisa, seen here in 2001, refused to follow the waif-like trend at the height of her modelling career
Model looks: Lisa, seen here in 2001, refused to follow the waif-like trend at the height of her modelling career
Talking about her pal, Snowdon responded: 'I think she definitely looks healthy. She’s just a really busy working mum. I love Abbey – she’s a good girl and a friend. She’s happy and healthy.'
Speaking out: Lisa opens up to this week's Star magazine about her body and health
Speaking out: Lisa opens up to this week's Star magazine about her body and health
Now the star has revealed she keeps in shape herself by taking vitamins, drinking plenty of water, sleeping eight hours a night, ensuring she takes her make-up off at night and steers clear of sunbeds.
And since she turned 35 she's also upped her fitness regime to help her stay healthy and slim: 'I try and do five hours a week (in the gym), if not more. I go to the gym three times a week and do an hour’s session, which involves lunges and squats and TRX suspension cords – where you use your own body weight.'
Since Christmas she's also taken up tap dancing.
Although one thing's for sure Lisa, who is currently thought to be single, is adamant she only looks after herself for personal reasons and not to please males in her life.
She continued to Star magazine: 'I do it for me, to feel good. If I’m not working out I don’t feel as
happy. I still want to look as well as I can, as there is a little bit of pressure. 
'There’s quite a lot of mean people out there who will pick you apart but I try not to focus on that. Us
girls will never be happy with what we’ve got, we’ll always find something we’re not happy with. But if I’m feeling good in myself I think that radiates, so it doesn’t matter if you’re a size 10 or a size 18.'
But while she may be confident in her own skin apart from the odd blip, Lisa hasn't ruled out trying out cosmetic procedures in the future: 'I’ve seen some amazing faces and I think [surgery] can be a good thing. If you want to have a facelift, do it.'
Lisa can currently be heard on Capital FM's breakfast show alongside Dave Berry.
Read the full interview in this week’s Star magazine – out now.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2309791/Lisa-Snowdon-slams-size-zero-trend-opens-body-health-regime.html#ixzz2QdCQZryl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook