Tuesday 16 October 2012

British No 1 Watson breaks through to world's top 50 after winning first title


British No 1 Watson breaks through to world's top 50 after winning first title


    Heather Watson has climbed to 50th in the world rankings following her victory at the HP Open in Osaka.
The 20-year-old became the first Briton in 24 years to win a WTA Tour singles title by beating Chang Kai-chen of Chinese Taipei on Sunday.
Watson rose 21 places from 71st as she moved back to British No 1.
Nifty fifty: Heather Watson is now the new world No 50 after winning the HP Open in Japan
Nifty fifty: Heather Watson is now the new world No 50 after winning the HP Open in Japan
'I really wanted to do well this week so I could earn my rest next week because this is my last tournament of the year. I don't think I could have ended it any better,' Watson told BBC Radio Five Live.
'Being in the top 50 was a real goal for me and it will push me to make harder goals for myself. I'm excited to have a break but I am looking forward to working hard again because it motivates me to achieve more.
'Laura and I have come through the rankings together, juniors and seniors - and we're both very competitive, so when we see the other doing well, it pushes us,' Watson added.
'Knowing Laura did so well in China a few weeks ago definitely motivated me this week. But I think it's great we're really good friends off the court as well.'
Silver lining: Watson ended a 24-year wait for a British women's singles trophy
Watson of Britain returns a shot to Taiwan's Chang Kai-Chen in their final match
Silver lining: Watson ended a 24-year wait for a British women's singles trophy after beating Chang Kai-chen
It was the first ATP Tour victory by a British woman since Sara Gomer won in California in 1988 and Watson was in no mood to downplay the achievement.
'I've been working to be more aggressive lately,' she told BBC Radio Five Live. 'When I got to the point when I was three match points down and she was serving for the match at 5-4, 40-0 I just thought "oh no, I had this, I was so close", but I just took it point by point, I don't know how I did it but I did.
'Now I've got the title and I am so happy, this ranks as one of the best days of my life.
In the money: Watson celebrates her victory after receiving her prize money
In the money: Watson celebrates her victory after receiving her prize money
Well done: Watson is congratulated by her opponent Chang Kai-Chen following her victory
Well done: Watson is congratulated by her opponent Chang Kai-Chen following her victory
'I've worked so hard for this moment my whole career. That's why I practised so hard, ran all those miles and lifted all those weights, for moments like this.
'I was in the changing room afterwards, changing my clothes, and I thought to myself, 'Did I really win?' So it's just starting to settle in.'
Eighteen-time singles major winner Martina Navratilova paid tribute to Watson on Twitter, believing she was due some glory.
'Well done Heather- your determination, grit, talent and most of all hard work has finally paid off- congrats:),' she tweeted.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2217914/Heather-Watson-world-No-50-HP-Open-win-Osaka.html#ixzz29UsxaPEX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook



Watson ends 24-year wait for British female title winner with victory at HP Open


The last time a British woman won a main tour WTA event — Sara Gomer in Aptos, California, 24 years ago — the town was hit by a significant earthquake shortly afterwards.
It must be hoped that the same fate does not materialise for Osaka, where Heather Watson ended the wait for someone to emulate the towering Devonian by saving four match points against Chang Kai-chen of Taipei to win the Japan Open.
In the young career of Watson the hard fought 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 victory, in three hours and 11 minutes, is a seismic enough result, apparent confirmation of her great potential and enough to see her end the  season just ahead of Laura Robson.
Elementary: Watson celebrates with her trophy after winning in Osaka
Elementary: Watson celebrates with her trophy after winning in Osaka
The Channel Islander celebrated with a night out of karaoke and 10-pin bowling. As well she might, for the winning of a tournament on the full circuit, even if it is one well below the Grand Slams, is quite some achievement.
Watson is just 20, really no age at all in this era of wunderkind-free tennis, and what is of added  importance is that yesterday’s  triumph ensures that the difficult second year on the circuit has been one of considerable progress.
Having made a breakthrough into the top 100 in 2011 word will have gone around the locker room about her strengths and weaknesses, yet she has still improved her ranking from 92 to 50.
Getting shirty: Watson shared this picture on Twitter after her victory in Japan
Getting shirty: Watson shared this picture on Twitter after her victory in Japan, saying: 'Thought this shirt would definitely be appropriate for tonight!! #osaka #champ :) yay!'
Rise of the girls
‘Britain has been breaking quite a few records so I am happy I could break another today. I’m proud to do this for my country,’ she said.
‘I was in the changing room afterwards and I thought to myself, “Did I really win?” I’ve worked so hard for this my whole career — it’s why I’ve practised so hard, run all those miles and lifted all those weights, for moments like this.’
The British game, which despite its riches still struggles to build any kind of talent conveyor belt, can scarcely believe its luck. Not only does it have a global superstar in Andy Murray, it now has two of  the women’s games brightest  young stars who are the complete  package in marketability terms.
All three developed outside the LTA system, in Watson’s case this meaning that she traipsed off from Guernsey to the Nick Bollettieri Academy in Florida at the age of 12, meaning considerable sacrifice for herself and her family.
It has helped having Robson nudging her along, although it might not have seemed that way when, despite having a superior doubles record, Murray chose her rival as his mixed doubles partner for the Olympics.
Sheer delight: Watson can't contain her delight after beating Kai-chen
Sheer delight: Watson can't contain her delight after beating Kai-chen
Sheer delight: Watson can't contain her delight after beating Kai-chen
The awkward decision foisted upon the men’s  No 1, subsequently vindicated by a silver medal, put pressure on relations between the two women players although I understand they sat down and talked the situation through and that their friendship quickly overcame the hurts.
Watson also faced potential awkwardness earlier this year when, having left her teen years in May, she decided she wanted to travel more without mother Michelle.
Again that arrangement appears to have worked to the point where she is likely to be two places above Robson in the new rankings this morning, despite the 18-year-old also having enjoyed a late season surge. Their futures appear entwined, the supremely athletic Watson and the glorious southpaw ball striking talent of Robson.
Put it there: The players embrace after an enthralling final at the HP Open
Put it there: The players embrace after an enthralling final at the HP Open
Put it there: The players embrace after an enthralling final at the HP Open
Once the latter has had a scan on her troublesome shoulder this week they might even be acquainted again over the off-season, as both are likely to spend time training at the Bradenton Academy.
‘Laura and I have come through the juniors together and we’re both very competitive, so when we see each other doing well it pushes us,’ said Watson.
On the ball: Watson has been training to become more aggressive
On the ball: Watson has been training to become more aggressive
‘Knowing Laura did so well in China (reaching the Guangzhou final) motivated me, but I think it’s great that we are really good friends off the court.’ Robson lost narrowly to Chang in the Japan quarter-finals as part of a draw which, in truth, fell nicely for Watson after she beat sixth seed Annabel Medina Garrigues in the first round.
She served for the title at 5-3 in the second set, but double faulted on match point and lost four straight games. All looked lost when she faced four match points as Chang served for it at 5-4 in the decider, only for all of them to be saved and then for Watson to show the steelier nerve in the sudden death tiebreak, which she won 7-4.
‘I was already thinking of how I was going to cry in the locker room,’ she admitted, ‘but I’m proud that I got through it.’


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2217501/Heather-Watson-wins-HP-Open.html#ixzz29Utqpfem
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook




Heather Watson sprinkler dance tribute by Judy 

Murray


Published on 15 Oct 2012 by 
Judy Murray joins forces with Anna, John, Sonay, Tanysha, Esther and Destinee in dancing the 'sprinkler' as a tribute to Heather Watson winning her first WTA singles title!