Wednesday 30 December 2015

New Year Honours 2016: Twelve famous faces including an OBE for Idris Elba

New Year Honours 2016: Twelve famous faces

Nearly 1,200 people have been named on the New Year Honours list.
Nearly three quarters of the recipients have been recognised for work in their local communities but here are 12 of the more famous faces.

1. Barbara Windsor
Barbara WindsorImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Actress - former EastEnders and Carry On films star
Honour: Damehood for services to charity and entertainment
Quote: "For a girl from the East End born into a working-class family and an evacuee during World War Two, this is truly like a dream. I am so happy and blessed to say it's real."

2. AP McCoy
AP McCoyImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Former champion jockey - retired in April after record-breaking career
Honour: Knighthood for services to horse racing
Quote: "I am overwhelmed, very honoured - I must say it came as a bit of a shock, to be honest. I am very proud of it. I am very proud for horse racing because it has been so good to me... I told close friends and family I want to call them me Sir Anthony, just close friends and family... Everyone else can call me AP or whatever they like."

3. Damon Albarn
Damon Albarn
Occupation: Singer-songwriter and producer - Blur frontman and Gorillaz creator
Honour: OBE for services to music.

4. Sue Barker
Sue Barker
Occupation: Broadcaster and former tennis player
Honour: OBE for services to broadcasting and charity

5. Steph Houghton
Steph HoughtonImage copyrightPA
Occupation: England and Manchester City football captain
Honour: MBE for services to football
Quote: "It is a massive step in the right direction to see that we are being recognised both at country and club level. I would never have thought of receiving an MBE in a million years because my main aim is just to play as well as you can for your team and your country, and everything else comes as a bonus."

6. Simon Weston
Simon WestonImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Falklands War veteran turned charity campaigner
Honour: CBE for charitable services
Quote: "To be given the CBE for charity work means a great deal to me because it's something that I have been very passionate about over the past 33 years... I hope that with me being in the public eye it can inspire others - that you can live your life and can enjoy it despite what has happened."

7. Ronnie O'Sullivan
Ronnie O'SullivanImage copyrightGetty Images
Occupation: Snooker player - five-time world champion
Honour: OBE for services to snooker
Quote: "It came as a great surprise to receive my OBE and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my family, friends and fans who have supported me throughout my career and made this achievement possible."

8. Denis Law
Denis Law
Occupation: Former Manchester United and Scotland footballer
Honour: CBE for services to football and charity
Quote: "You do not expect anything like this... That must be inspiring for young players. Because most of the guys coming through in the football world come from working class families.... this is a bit special".

9. Idris Elba
Idris ElbaImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Actor - star of BBC drama Luther
Honour: OBE for services to drama
Quote: "Awards and honours come in all shapes and sizes and all as significant as the other. But this is beyond special as it comes from Queen and country, and I couldn't be more proud for receiving this right now. What a year. On me head son!"

10. Sian Philips
Sian PhillipsImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Stage and film actress - known for I, Claudius and A Little Night Music
Honour: Damehood for services to drama
Quote: "I idolised all the dames like Peggy Ashcroft and Edith Evans and couldn't quite believe then that we inhabited the same planet. I feel the same way now - though I also feel deeply honoured and very grateful."

11: Chris Froome
Chris FroomeImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Cyclist - two-time Tour de France winner
Honour: OBE for services to cycling
Quote: "I am extremely humbled and very proud to receive this honour. It is obviously further recognition for the sport of cycling and it caps a fantastic year for me professionally and personally. It wouldn't be possible without the help of my teammates, coaches and of course the love and support from my family."

12: James Nesbitt
James NesbittImage copyrightPA
Occupation: Actor - star of TV's Missing, Cold Feet and patron of a centre which supports people affected by The Troubles
Honour: For services to drama and thecommunity in Northern Ireland
Quote: "I've been very blessed with my work and very blessed to come from Northern Ireland, and for those two things to be on the citation was really rather gratifying."

New Year Honours 2016

1,196
people honoured
  • 76% for "outstanding" work in their communities
  • 48% are women
  • 24 men receive knighthoods
  • 15 women become dames