Thursday 24 April 2014

'It's the very definition of bittersweet': Kiernan Shipka opens up about filming the final episodes of Mad Men

'It's the very definition of bittersweet': Kiernan Shipka opens up about filming the final episodes of Mad Men

Kiernan Shipka has opened up about the 'bittersweet' feeling of filming the final episodes of Mad Men, which is set to wrap up in 2015.
The 14-year-old actress, who was just six when the series began, told Scene magazine: 'I can't quite put into words how odd it feels to be ending.'
She added: 'But at the same time I saw this quote that said, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened," and I'm trying to apply that as much as I can.'
End of an era: Kiernan Shipka, 14, has opened up to Scene magazine about the 'bittersweet' feeling of filming the final episodes of Mad Men, which is set to wrap up in 2015
End of an era: Kiernan Shipka, 14, has opened up to Scene magazine about the 'bittersweet' feeling of filming the final episodes of Mad Men, which is set to wrap up in 2015
Moving on: The glamorous-beyond-her-years starlet revealed: 'I saw this quote that said, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened," and I'm trying to apply that as much as I can'
Moving on: The glamorous-beyond-her-years starlet revealed: 'I saw this quote that said, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened," and I'm trying to apply that as much as I can'
Kiernan poses in a series of sophisticated looks within the magazine, from an intricately-embroidered Valentino dress and crystal chandelier earrings to a black lace Louis Vuitton ensemble.
And when it comes to her own fashion sense, the starlet - who cites Gracy Kelly as a style icon - says she has a lot in common with her character Sally Draper.
    'I totally owe my love of fashion to Mad Men,' she said. 'I got very inspired by the clothes that costume designer Janie [Bryant] put together.'
    'Mad Men in and of itself has been an acting school for me'
    In most other respects, however, she and Sally couldn't be more different. '[Sally] comes from divorced parents and she's had a lot of drama happen,' says Kiernan.
    'I don't come from a broken home... but I think she's amazing and handles her life really well, better than I would.'
    Despite their obvious differences, it doesn't stop fans from approaching the actress and addressing her as her fictional character.
    Fashion forward: When it comes to her own fashion sense, Kiernan - who cites Gracy Kelly as a style icon - says she owes a lot to Mad Men and the show's 'inspiring' costume designer Janie Bryant
    Fashion forward: When it comes to her own fashion sense, Kiernan - who cites Gracy Kelly as a style icon - says she owes a lot to Mad Men and the show's 'inspiring' costume designer Janie Bryant
    Life imitates art: 'People come up to me and talk about how awful my parents are,' she said. 'I think it's cool to play someone people relate to and love so much that they think you really are that great'
    Life imitates art: 'People come up to me and talk about how awful my parents are,' she said. 'I think it's cool to play someone people relate to and love so much that they think you really are that great'
    Just a regular teen: 'If you see me with my friends, I'm definitely 14,' she insists, conceding: 'Maybe 15'
    Just a regular teen: 'If you see me with my friends, I'm definitely 14,' she insists, conceding: 'Maybe 15'
    'People come up to me and talk about how awful my parents are,' she revealed, adding: 'I think it's cool to play someone people relate to and love so much that they think you really are that great.'
    Her acting skills are especially impressive considering Kiernan never had any formal training.
    Instead, when her parents moved with her to Los Angeles so she could begin filming Mad Men, producer Matthew Weiner advised her to stay out of acting school.
    'Mad Men in and of itself has been an acting school for me,' she said.
    Unconventional childhood: Kiernan was just six when the series began, and viewers have watched her grow up at the same time as her character (pictured: in a scene from season 3 with co-star Jon Hamm)
    Unconventional childhood: Kiernan was just six when the series began, and viewers have watched her grow up at the same time as her character (pictured: in a scene from season 3 with co-star Jon Hamm)
    Then and now: Sally has grown into a mature and opinionated adolescent (pictured on Sunday night's episode)
    Then and now: Sally has grown into a mature and opinionated adolescent (pictured on Sunday night's episode)
    While many child actors succumb to sad fates due to growing up too fast, Kiernan seems to have remained refreshingly grounded.
    'I think it's cool to play someone people love so much that they think you really are that great'
    She lists mint chocolate chip as her favorite ice cream flavor, Prince Harry as her celebrity crush and watching TV shows like Veep and Arrested Development as some of her favorite pastimes.
    And she's quick to remind people that in spite of her mature attitude and grown-up fashion tastes, she's still just a regular teen.
    'If you see me with my friends, I'm definitely 14,' she insists, conceding: 'Maybe 15.'


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2612523/Its-definition-bittersweet-Kiernan-Shipka-opens-filming-final-episodes-Mad-Men.html#ixzz2zqnTwmZy
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook