Sunday 23 September 2012

At the height of her dancing career Darcey Bussell was afraid to lift her daughters in case she injured her back


Strictly no cuddles: Why ballerina Darcey didn't dare pick up her own children in case she injured herself

  • At the height of her dancing career Darcey Bussell was afraid to lift her daughters in case she injured her back

Consumed: New Strictly judge Darcey Bussell said she couldn't risk lifting her daughters for fear of injuring her back
Consumed: New Strictly judge Darcey Bussell said she couldn't risk lifting her daughters for fear of injuring her back
Strictly Come Dancing judge and former ballerina Darcey Bussell says she was so frightened of injury during her career that she refused to pick up her children for a cuddle.
The star, 43, who was Britain’s leading ballerina until her retirement in 2007, said her life was so consumed  by her work, that she couldn’t risk lifting daughters Phoebe and Zoe in case she injured her back.
In an interview with The Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, Miss Bussell, who joined the BBC show this year, said: ‘Ballet is an all-consuming world and one to which I was totally addicted.
‘But I was also a realist to know that neither my career nor my body could last. You live in constant fear of injury. I didn’t dare pick up my daughters when they were small because of the risk of straining a back muscle.
‘I would sit on the floor and they would have to come to me if they wanted a hug.’
Miss Bussell also revealed she considered breast enlargement surgery after ending her ballet career.
    ‘I told myself I would have a boob job when I stopped dancing,’ she said. 
    ‘But when it came to it, the idea of having anything false in my body was too strange. Cosmetic surgery is not for me. I would rather enhance my looks with facials and creams.’
    Miss Bussell added that she had a soft spot for fellow Strictly judge Len Goodman, 68. She said: ‘He makes my knees tremble. We filmed a trailer in which I had to dance with each of the judges and although they were all good, Len was definitely my favourite.
    He is such a gentleman – so suave and yet with that cheeky glint in his eye. I had that feeling with him that you get on your first date.’


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2207322/Strictly-cuddles-Why-ballerina-Darcey-didnt-dare-pick-children-case-injured-herself.html#ixzz27IKvenfW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook