Thursday 20 September 2012

Denise Van Outen hits back at critics accusing her of being too experienced for Strictly


'We're not in a musical': Denise Van Outen hits back at critics accusing her of being too experienced for Strictly


Chris Evans opened fire last week when he claimed Denise van Outen shouldn't be participating on Strictly Come Dancing due to her professional dancing background.
Responding to the criticism, Denise hit back when she took to her blog to clear things up.
The post from the 38-year-old began: 'I have to say that I was a quite upset at the criticism that I’ve come under from the press about my involvement with the show due to my previous dance experience.'
Professional smiler: Despite the Strictly criticism, Denise van Outen keeps smiling
Professional smiler: Despite the Strictly criticism, Denise van Outen keeps smiling
She continued: 'I would like to take this opportunity to express that I have danced at theatre school as part of my training, and I did appear in the musical Chicago where I had one dance number, but apart from that, my dance experience is very basic.
'Secondly, I am not the only competitor that has appeared in the show that has had basic training.
'This competition is not musical theatre, it is ballroom, and this is a world that I am in NO way familiar with.'  
Denise didn't directly respond to her fellow contestant Evans' harsh words, but it's clear the comment was aimed at him as well.
'Ballroom is a different world': The musical star hits back at critics who say she's too experienced to be on the dance show
'Ballroom is a different world': The musical star hits back at critics who say she's too experienced to be on the dance show
The Radio 2 DJ had spoken out about the unfair advantage that Denise holds over other celebrities in the competition who have never danced in their lives.
Chris said: 'I love Denise by the way and who wouldn't want to see Denise lighting up our screens on a Saturday night on BBC One's hit show Strictly?
'But she is a professional actress/singer/dancer.
'Isn't it a story of aspiration from the beginning, the seeds of learning whether you do or don't have two left feet, to perhaps better yourself and becoming good if not better than you ever thought you could be?'
West End star: Denise in Chicago in 2001 (left) and in Rent in 2007 (right)
West End star: Denise in Chicago in 2001 (left) and in Rent in 2007 (right)
West End star: Denise in Chicago in 2001 (left) and in Rent in 2007 (right)
However, Denise is happy to set the record straight on her level of experience.
She explained: 'Ballroom is totally different. Firstly I have never danced with a partner, you have to be in sync, remember your footings etc.
'These are things that I’ve never had to do in my career so far and this is a massive challenge for me. However, I’m really looking forward to learning a new skill, and I’m really happy as Betsy is so looking forward to seeing her Mummy dance.'
Get to work: Other contestant Kimberley Walsh also hit the dance studios on Thursday
Get to work: Other contestant Kimberley Walsh also hit the dance studios on Thursday
Meanwhile, other contestants are hard at work as well.
Girls Aloud singer Kimberley Walsh, 30, was spotted entering the dance studios.
She tweeted: 'Hi guys! Still smiling at the end of our first day of rehearsal! Dancing is so much fun!!!'
Dancing is so much fun! Kimberley Walsh took to Twitter to talk about her excitement of being on the show
Dancing is so much fun! Kimberley Walsh took to Twitter to talk about her excitement of being on the show


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2206176/Denise-van-Outen-hits-critics-accuse-experienced-Strictly-Come-Dancing.html#ixzz27385ea3A
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook