Tuesday 19 November 2013

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ star Chloe Bennet talks ‘Thor’ tie in and Level 7 shipping

Chloe Bennet spoke to Hypable about flashbacks and Hulk-outs when Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.season 1, episode 8 crosses over with Thor: The Dark World this week.
The personal cost of cleaning up for heroes will be the theme of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 1, episode 8, “The Well,” airing next Tuesday. Chloe Bennet (Skye) spoke to Hypable about the upcoming episode, which will tie in to Marvel’s latest blockbuster Thor: The Dark World, and bring Agent Coulson’s team in contact with a volatile Asgardian relic. Check out the preview and episode stills for “The Well,” and head over to ABC’s official website for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for even more information.

Hypable Exclusive Interview: Chloe Bennet

Hypable: How much did you know about Thor: The Dark World before filming “The Well”?
Chloe Bennet: You know, we really didn’t know much about what happened. We got a vague description of what happened. We did end up seeing Thor last weekend, me, Iain [DeCaestecker], and Brett [Dalton] went to see Thor together, and it made a lot more sense after we saw the movie!
The episode ties in, and it’s the aftermath of Thor: The Dark World, and we basically go and clean up the mess, and we discover an Asgardian relic. And this relic gives anyone who touches it an enormous amount of rage.
Stuff goes down, my friend! Stuff goes down, it’s going to be a good one to watch. But I definitely suggest going to see Thor: The Dark World beforehand – also because it’s an awesome movie.
Marvel is great at making big plot moments about character. Will we see that particularly in this episode?
In my mind, that happens in every episode. I think that’s really what Marvel is about – a lot of huge, life-changing situations happen, but it’s all about how these characters deal with it. AndAgents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is particularly about super-humans seen through the eyes of normal people. That theme is laced into every single episode, and particularly this episode for Ward. Lots of stuff happens with him, and it’s all about him and his story and what happens there. So you’ll find out some great backstory.
And that’s what’s so exciting about the first season of any show, is that… you have these characters in your TV and in your home every week, and finding out more about them and their secrets and their flaws and what their insecurities are. I think that’s the best part about watching a new show.
We’ve seen a whole bunch of different sides of Skye – hacker, agent-in-training, spy. What role will she play this week?
Particularly for this episode, I think she definitely plays a support [role] for Ward. He’s going through a lot. He handles this Asgardian relic and he RAGES. And it’s more of an internal rage, it kind of brings up certain memories, and I think [Skye] helps him through it because she feels a connection to him. You’ll have to wait and see, I can’t really give that much more information – Level 7!
CHLOE BENNET interview Agents of SHIELD season 1, episode 8
There’s been romantic tension all over the place on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
Oh yeah!
I think some people ship “Skimmons,” Skye and Simmons together.
Oh yeah, I ship Skimmons! I ship Skimmons, I ship SkyeWard… It’s great, because in some shows two young actresses could probably not get along, but me and Elizabeth [Henstridge] get along probably too well. We’re such good friends and we love to show that on Twitter! So people are now shipping Skimmons – especially after the last episode… when she shot [Agent Sitwell]. That was a really fun one to shoot, because we really didn’t get to do many scenes of just each other together.
You know, it’s nice to see a show where two young women are on the show together – usually it’s the obvious choice for them to be catty toward each other, or to feel some sort of resentment or jealousy – and with Skye and Simmons it’s very supportive. They really care about each other, and that’s great to see!
So I ship Skimmons, I also ship SkyeWard. I think Ward and Skye are soulmates and I can’t wait to see that happen. I’m right there with the fans, I’m like, “I’m ready for it! I’m ready for it baby, let’s do it.” But you know, it’s TV! We’ll see what happens.
Here’s a fan theory for you: Is there anything sinister behind the S.H.I.E.L.D. water bottles the characters are always drinking from?
You know what’s really funny, is that that water tastes REALLY bad. That’s the behind-the-scenes information I’ll give you. We’ll drink that water in the scene, afterward I’m like, “Did that taste bad? Because that tastes weird to me!”
For some reason, it tastes funny. We try not to actually drink it. It has like extra super-powered electrolytes, and that’s why, so we all have energy to do what we do every week – because I don’t know how [we] do!
I had to wonder when I saw the preview for “The Well” if Ward Hulks out and his shirt rips off, because, well, that would be quite exciting…
I can’t disclose much information, but I think the ladies are definitely going to be very excited to see this episode, because you’ll see a lot of Brett. That is all I’m saying. He kind of Hulks out a bit, I’m going to be honest, he does.
I can’t wait to see it – I mean, I was there in person and I still can’t wait to see it. It’s very exciting.
We were actually filming this episode while the premiere of the show happened, so I associate this episode with the show first coming out – it was really fun for all of us.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 1, episode 8, “The Well” will air on Tuesday, Nov. 19 at 8:00 p.m. on ABC.