Saturday 1 September 2012

Denied the chance to run in marathon, but Whitehead breaks record and wins gold in 200m


Denied the chance to run in marathon, but Whitehead breaks record and wins gold in 200m


    Marathon world record holder Richard Whitehead continued to push the boundaries of human achievement by racing to Paralympic gold in a new world record over 200 metres.
The 36-year-old, who has completed 24 marathons since 2004, turned to the sprints after being denied the chance to race over the longest distance on the streets of London.
Whitehead, greeted by a huge roar from a packed Olympic Stadium, conquered the challenge in style by clocking 24.38 seconds to take the T42 category title by a huge margin.
Sprint king: Whitehead set a new record over 200m at the Olympic Stadium
Sprint king: Whitehead set a new record over 200m at the Olympic Stadium
The Nottingham athlete came storming through down the home straight to lower his own world record, winning by more than a second in a high quality race in which every single competitor ran at least a personal best.
Whitehead lapped up the support, performing his take on the Royal wave, as Usain Bolt did ahead of his Olympic 200m final, when introduced to the crowd, with a faulty start adding to the tension.
The double above-the-knee amputee has incredibly also run two hours 42 minutes 54secs for the marathon, making his achievements surely as impressive as any among the athletes at the Games.
But International Paralympic Committee regulations prevented him from competing alongside arm amputees in the T46 marathon in the capital, with his attempt to challenge the rule at the Court of Arbitration for Sport last year failing.
Flying the flag: Whitehead was cheered on by a full house of ParalympicsGB fans
Flying the flag: Whitehead was cheered on by a full house of ParalympicsGB fans
The 100m and 200m are the only two distances in his class.
Whitehead's London 2012 goal was to leave a legacy, saying just to go after another record and a gold medal would be 'missing the whole ticket about the Games'.
Whitehead told Channel 4: 'Today I came and saw and conquered. That's why I gave the two-gun salute at the end.
'I know a lot of the guys had trained hard for the (first) 150 metres. It was a bit choppy at the end but I held it together.
'Yesterday I didn't feel too well. I had a headache and a bit of a temperature. But I overcame that, I've overcome so much in my life.
Legacy: Whitehead hopes to make a positive impact on future generations
Legacy: Whitehead hopes to make a positive impact on future generations
'Today was about giving back everyone here a performance. I've got all the support around me and that is why I'm successful. I'd like to dedicate the gold to my mum and dad and my girlfriend.
'I've still got the 100 to come which will be about putting my foot down.'
Gemma Prescott added a bronze medal in the F31/32/51 club throw. The 28-year-old threw a new European record of 20.50 metres, equating to 1015 points to claim Great Britain's fourth athletics medal of the Games.
Team-mates Josie Pearson and Maxine Moore were fifth and 12th respectively.
Prescott said: 'That was an amazing experience. I'm absolutely delighted with a bronze medal, I am really struggling for words.
'I saw Richard's race, I was right track side for that. It lifted me.'
Rob Womack made it three host medals this morning with bronze in the F54/55/56 shot put.
The 41-year-old threw a personal best 11.34m, which translated into 972 points. And he cupped his ears in celebration to roars from the crowd when it was announced he had got bronze.
The medals kept on coming for Great Britain as Claire Williams won bronze in the F11/12 discus. The 24-year-old threw 39.63m, which worked out at 908 points.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2196730/London-2012-Paralympics-Richard-Whitehead-breaks-record-wins-gold-200m.html#ixzz25GU7uJkd