Monday 3 September 2012

Ellie Simmonds breaks world record to win gold in SM6 200m medley as Jones takes bronze


Simmonds breaks world record to win gold in SM6 200m medley as Jones takes bronze


Ellie Simmonds claimed her second gold of London 2012 when she won the SM6 200 metres individual medley and broke her own world record in the process for the second time in a day.
As with her heat swim on Monday morning, the 17-year-old produced a blistering freestyle leg to go past Oksana Kruhl as if she was treading water to win in three minutes 5.39 seconds, dipping 0.75secs inside the mark she had set on Monday morning.
The Swansea-based swimmer had been shocked by her earlier performance on Monday and on seeing the scoreboard, she had a beaming smile on her face.
Golden girl: Simmonds broke the 200m medley world record twice in one day
Golden girl: Simmonds broke the 200m medley world record twice in one day
Golden girl: Simmonds broke the 200m medley world record twice in one day
It was her second title of the week after her success in the S6 400m freestyle, also in a world record time.
Not to be forgotten, team-mate Natalie Jones took bronze in 3mins 14.29secs but all eyes were on Simmonds.
A delighted Simmonds told Channel 4: 'I'm so pleased that I won - a world record again, another PB and to go on the podium again. I'm just so chuffed.
'Two golds now and I'm going to enjoy it.
'That was a tough race. I was just trying to go as fast as I can and to do a PB.
'I'm just really happy.
'My front crawl is my main stroke, it's where my advantage is, where I catch people up. She was ahead of me, and I panicked a bit. I didn't know if I could catch her up.
'I just kicked for home and really went for it.'
Jones, said: 'I've worked so hard for this over the last three months. I'm just so delighted that I've got a medal.'
World record: Simmonds won with ease for the second time on Monday
World record: Simmonds won with ease for the second time on Monday
World record: Simmonds won with ease for the second time on Monday
World record: Simmonds won with ease for the second time on Monday
Sascha Kindred was under the old world record but still finished second as he made up for his earlier disappointment with silver in the S6 200 metres individual medley.
The 34-year-old had not been dislodged from the top of the podium since first claiming gold in Sydney 12 years ago and this morning went some way to making up for his fourth in the 100m breaststroke as he qualified fastest for the medley final.
Kindred was fourth at halfway before his breaststroke leg pulled him up to second, narrowly behind Xu Qing.
It looked as though it would be a stroke-for-stroke duel but the Chinese pulled away to take 3.37 seconds off Kindred's world record in two minutes 38.62 seconds.
The Briton also dipped inside his old mark to claim silver in 2mins 41.50secs.
Fan club: Prime Minister David Cameron (centre) cheers Simmonds on at the Aquatics Centre
Fan club: Prime Minister David Cameron (centre) cheers Simmonds on at the Aquatics Centre
Fan club: Prime Minister David Cameron (centre) cheers Simmonds on at the Aquatics Centre
He told Channel 4: 'That was what I wanted: a medal in this event. It's not the colour I wanted, but [it's] a new European record, a PB, so I've done my fastest time on the biggest stage so I can't ask for more than that.
'It took a world record to beat me.
'I'm going to stand on the podium and be glad of that silver medal.'
Susie Rodgers claimed Britain's fourth medal of the night when she dug in for bronze in the S7 100m freestyle.
The 29-year-old came under attack from Ani Palian to her left in lane six but the Briton was not giving an inch and held off the Ukrainian to touch third in 1:12.61.
It was Rodgers' first medal of the Games on what is her Paralympic debut.
Simmonds said she was was pleased to have welcomed prime minister David Cameron into her 'house' after she sent the Aquatics Centre into a frenzy on Monday night.
Cameron was there to witness Simmonds' victory and also present her with her gold medal.
Brit of all right: Simmonds and Jones celebrate at the end of the race
Brit of all right: Simmonds and Jones celebrate at the end of the race
While he was not greeted with universal applause on being introduced prior to the medal ceremony, any boos were drowned out by the raucous cheers.
It was not the first time Simmonds had met the prime minister and she said: 'I've met him at his house, in No 10. It's great to meet him in my place, really, at the pool.'
Of what he said to her on the podium, Simmonds added: 'It was just congratulations.
'I don't really remember much, but being on the podium was just an amazing atmosphere and an amazing experience really, to be on it second time running. I'm just really pleased.
'It's a great atmosphere. It definitely motivates you and definitely gives you that buzz.
'To have that atmosphere, it's just unbelievable. I don't want it to end at all. I'm on a high all the time.'
Golden moment: Simmonds collects her second medal of the Games
Golden moment: Simmonds collects her second medal of the Games
Golden moment: Simmonds collects her second medal of the Games
 

More...



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2197721/London-2012-Paralympics-Ellie-Simmonds-wins-SM6-200m-gold.html#ixzz25RK1Ajli