Tuesday 11 September 2012

Girl Power Team GB as Dani King, Laura Trott, Beth Tweddle, Gemma Gibbons and Nicola Adams pose as the Spice Girls


Girl power! Team GB channel their inner Spice Girl as Dani King, Laura Trott, Beth Tweddle, Gemma Gibbons and Nicola Adams ditch their tracksuits and pose as the glamorous group


With over a third of Team GB's medals brought home by women, this summer really was the season of girl power. 
And although the Olympics are over, the great girls of the games are still enjoying every second.
Some of the nation's favourite female medalists have joined forces to celebrate in style by dressing up as the original girl-power icons and stars of the Olympics Closing Ceremony: the Spice Girls.
Spice up your life! The Team GB athletes showed off some real girl power as they posed as the iconic 90s band, Laura Trott as Baby, Dani King as Posh, Beth Twedde as Sporty, Gemma Gibson as Ginger and Nicola Adams as Scary
Spice up your life! The Team GB athletes showed off some real girl power as they posed as the iconic 90s band, Laura Trott as Baby, Dani King as Posh, Beth Twedde as Sporty, Gemma Gibson as Ginger and Nicola Adams as Scary
Cycling gold champions Dani King and Laura Trott; bronze gymnastic legend Beth Tweddle; Gemma Gibbons, who won silver in judo; and the first-ever women’s boxing gold medallist, Nicola Adams channeled their inner girl pop stars for the shoot for this week's heat magazine.
Laura Trott, 20, who shot to fame with her double gold cycling victory and friendship with Prince Harry as well as that famous kiss in the stands with boyfriend Kenny posed in a pink dress as Baby Spice.

    She said: 'I was a crazy Spice Girls fan! I saw them when I was eight or nine, and I watched their reunion at the O2. 
    'Baby Spice was my favourite! I used to be jealous of my sister, because her name’s Emma.  I was like, “Why did Mum and Dad give you the cool name?"'
    Asked about the craziest thing that happened at the Olympics, Laura replied: 'Watching volleyball with Prince Harry – not many people can say they’ve done that. I met David Beckham the same night. That whole day was nuts.'
    Laura Trott
    Gymnast Beth Tweddle
    Judo medalist Gemma Gibbons
    Laura Trott (left) loves dressing up; Gymnast Beth Tweddle (centre); Judo medalist Gemma Gibbon (right)
    Nicola Adams and Dani King are representing girl power
    Nicola Adams and Dani King are representing girl power
    Nicola Adams and Dani King are representing girl power
    Gymnast Beth Tweddle, 27, pulled off her best Sporty Spice jump, and looked every inch the glamorous athlete.
    Speaking about her highlights of the Games she said: 'I got to meet Kate Middleton and Prince William. I was sitting next to her throughout the gymnastics final and she was asking questions. She’s so down to earth. I felt like I was chatting to a friend!'
    Judo superstar Gemma Gibbons put on an orange wig and chanelled her inner Ginger Spice.
    The humble 25-year-old said: 'On the morning of the day I fought, I had 600 Twitter followers; after my fight, I had 12,500! Olly Murs tweeted me and then I met him at the V Festival, which was really cool.
    'I watched the Spice Girls at the Closing Ceremony. Everyone was looking forward to seeing them, and it was great to be there when they got back together.'
    Nicola Adams, 29, the first ever girl to win a medal in boxing donned her best leopard print as Scary Spice.
    The original iconic girl band in all their 90s girl power glory
    The original iconic girl band in all their 90s girl power glory
    The full interview with the girls is in this week's heat magazine
    The full interview with the girls is in this week's heat magazine
    'I wouldn’t need a head guard in the ring with this much hair! And I’m not sure about the shoes, but I like the make-up. I wasn’t massively into the Spice Girls when they were big – I’m more of an R&B fan – but I saw them at the Closing Ceremony and I thought they were great,' she said.
    'I’ve had loads of girls come up to me in the street and send me messages on Twitter, telling me they’re getting into boxing after seeing me fight, which is amazing. 
    'But it’s not just sports, it’s about fighting for equality in everything. It’s so important and I’m really proud of the part I’ve played in that.'
    21-year-old and cycling champion Dani King pulled off her best Victoria Beckham look in a fitted leopard print dress and trademark point.
    She told the magazine: 'Kids knock on my door asking for autographs now and I’ve been to a party with Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell.
    'I miss everything about the Olympics and I can’t wait until the next one!'
    The full feature appears in this week’s heat magazine, on sale now.


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2201053/Team-GB-channel-inner-Spice-Girls-Dani-King-Laura-Trott-Beth-Tweddle-Gemma-Gibbons-Nicola-Adams-ditch-tracksuits-pose-glamorous-group.html#ixzz269RhWB4P