Thursday 6 November 2014

5 MINUTES WITH: PIXIE LOTT - @Ella_LaPetite interviewing @PixieLott

5 MINUTES WITH: PIXIE LOTT

Pixie Lott
Given that my “5 Minutes With” features are virtually always fashion industry specific, it might seem unexpected to be interviewing Pixie Lott. Then again if there’s one thing the singer knows and loves – aside from music, obvs – it’s clothes. Back in the day she designed those sell out collections for Lipsy but more recently Pixie’s been rocking endless amounts of Moschino and has a collection of co-ords that causes me major outfit envy every time we cross paths… Five words: pink fur trimmed shorts suit. I can’t remember what event she rocked this particular ensemble at but I was practically seething with jealousy. With Pixie Lott’s latest and by all accounts most impressive album yet launching this very evening I thought now would be the perfect moment for a chat with her about favourite designers, regrettable outfit choices and merging style with sound…
LPA: Since releasing your first smash hit in 2009, you’ve become almost as well known for your style as your music. Has fashion always been something you’ve been interested in?
PL: I’ve always loved fashion so am pleased I can have fun with it alongside my music too. Music will always be my number one and favourite thing to do but I absolutely love fashion and think they go hand in hand really well.
LPA: As someone in the public eye, the clothes you wear attract a certain amount of scrutiny. How does this affect your style choices?
PL: I think I just have to be more careful of how I get out of a taxi or if I’m wearing a mini skirt! I have learnt now and always wear some hotpants under dresses or skirts no matter how short they are, just incase! I also have become more aware of certain outfit choices that look fine in the house when getting ready but when the cameras flash they go see-through – so I double check now!
LPA: Which designers or brands do you most like to wear and why?
PL: I love so many different designers for different reasons but to name just a few of my favourites… Dolce and Gabbana for their elegant style that always fits the best, Moschino for their class but with a quirky twist, Chanel for their timeless pieces but also for their new stuff that has an edge, Christopher Kane for his fun and unique styles particularly the 60s designs, Miu Miu and Prada for their new and old classics and Versace for the more seductive numbers.
LPA: I can imagine that being on stage in front of thousands presents a whole range of dressing challenges and potential wardrobe malfunctions. How do you choose what to wear to perform?
PL: It always depends on what type of show I’m doing to decide what outfit I’m going to wear. For the festivals and big shows, I think it’s better to go more fun and to wear something more out there than I would for the casual, acoustic performance. When it’s stripped back, I like to keep it all about the music but when it’s a bigger stage or crowd it’s fun to make it more of a show and customise some pieces. One of my recent fun and favourite outfits was at G-A-Y, where we had a customised Austin Powers vibe two piece made with baby blue fluff all over the bra top and edges of the shorts. If you can’t have fun with your outfit choice at G-A-Y – where can you?!
LPA: Are there any particular collections or trends you’re loving this season?
PL: The era of the 60s/70s will always be my favourite as I love all the girls and photography from back then so I’m pleased there’s a hint of the 70s scooting about at the moment. There are lots of flares and wide collared shirts that I spy and that’s definitely a trend I’ll be sporting too. I did see the womens pre collection of Moschino at L:CM recently and I loved the 90s feel too – my favourite pieces were the colourful swimsuits. Also, something I’m into, to toughen up the usual girly sandal for the summer, is a much chunkier sole.
LPA: If you could only save three things from your wardrobe from a fire, which would you pick?
PL: My Miu Miu cat print shoes, My vintage Chanel two piece (I’ve had for a year and still haven’t worn!) and then more sentimental items like my Nan’s jewellery.
LPA: I think it’s safe to say that most, if not all of us have made some dubious style choices in our time. Myself, I was very into orange fake tan, body con and poorly applied glittery eye makeup as a teenager. What has been your biggest fashion faux pas?
PL: I think one of my worst was growing up at school and trying to cut myself a fringe.. I chose to use the blunt, kitchen scissors and you can’t even imagine how bad it looked – it couldn’t be fixed till I grew it out…
LPA: Your forthcoming album, Pixie Lott, sees you moving away from the pop tracks that launched your career and towards a more soulful sound described as your ‘most personal record to date.’ Do you think your style has, or will, change to reflect this?
PL: I think by going more into this direction with this album it will just allow me to embrace the 60s even more so with my fashion choices. The soul music I love and grew up listening to is from that era so it’s great that I can incorporate my style in with this sound. It’s still a modern take of my influences growing up so that’s the vibe of my image too.
Love Ella. X